Prologue

No one knows how or why the war started. You couldn't tell if there were more birds in the sky or fallen on the field. Neither wind, rain nor thunder could be heard over the clashing of swords and talons. Owls and crows of Neros and Baldir, skilled warriors the both but bitter enemies. And yet, they didn't know why they were fighting each other. At the time, they didn't know who or what the real enemy was. I don't think anyone could've predicted it.

For years the war raged on, then, just as sudden as it had started, the war was suddenly over.

Rideir of Neros and Aras of Baldir were the ones who made the peace and the treaty to ensure that we remained that way. Once again, no one knows how it happened or what were the specific terms. Just that we set down our arms and stood side by side. They were the first king and queen for the two kingdoms.

Maybe that was the problem. Maybe that's why the peace was so fragile, always on the brink of breaking and igniting a new war.

After 400 years we are told the same thing over and over. Word for word. The crows started the war, and if not for the courage of Rideir and the surrender of Aras, we would not know peace. Yeah ok, something tells me that the crows say the exact same thing only it's the courage of Aras and the surrender of Rideir.

Our peace, however doesn't mean we can associate with the crows. In fact, it was prohibited to interact with each other by any means. Sure we could travel to and live within other kingdoms but we must never reach the border of Baldir. We didn't even use the same trader groups for our kingdoms.

A little over the top of you ask me.

The one and only time we were in proximity of the crows was when we stood together for the treaty. Since then, in hundreds of years, no owl has seen a living crow. Only the ones drawn in the history books. Which I think will be our downfall.

If we could not properly learn from history, then we are doomed to repeat it. They all talk about safety to avoid another war. Don't do this, don't do that, listen and obey. We train if war ever sparks again. I always thought it was a matter of when, not if.

If we only knew the truth, not blinded by secrets, much blood would not have been spilled.