Meylo

I felt a little bit of a jerk for the way I laughed at Aihla and Jessica. But in my defense they were talking about magick as if they see it everyday. Yes, I can't explain what happened to us that much is true. But just because I can't explain it doesn't mean I need to believe the first most outrageous theory someone comes up with. Otherwise we'd all believe that the moon and sun are the eyes of the last giant bird in the sky that watches over our world, and when it rains it's because the giant is crying. Or that all the birds that mysteriously disappear every year are due to the monsters known as humans that come out at night to hunt and eat us.

Yeah, I don't think so.

It's been a few hours since we got introduced to each other and killed a Kijod. We've been flying around trying to see if there's any landmark that we recognize. So far it's nothing but endless forest. After a while, the sun got too hot so we went back to the ground and walked from there using the thick branches and leaves for shade. It worked at it was at least ten degrees cooler down here.

To pass the time and avoid asking unanswerable questions, we decided to get to know each other a little better. "Alright my turn, what's the craziest food combination you've had that tasted really good but everyone looked at you like you were crazy? Mine has got to be deep fired worms with chocolate ice cream." Yeah that's the look right there that everyone else gives me.

"Not gonna lie, it may sound weird but I would so be willing to try it. I don't feel like mine is all that weird but it's those hot crisps they sell in the markets. I like to crush them up a little and put them in my potato soup." Aihla replies. Her expression wasn't as shocked as Jessica's but she did look genuine when she said she wanted to try it. And although I've never had that combo either, she's right. It's not that crazy.

"Jess it's your turn." she says to her friend. Her expression looked like someone who was waiting for their unassuming friend to walk into the section where they set up their prank.

"Um, well I guess it has to be pickles with the grilled mouse drizzled in hot sauce." As soon as she said those words I looked at her with an open beak. Aihla meanwhile is trying to hold in her laugh. Jess just looks at me and shrugs.

"Yeah ok, you win that one. Alright Jessica. Your turn." I say.

"Let's see. Ooh, if you can pick any other bird to be, which one would you pick and why?"

Now that is a good one. Truth be told, I have thought about it before. I used to picture myself a mighty Hawk. Nomadic sentries that went around the lands offering their services. Sure they got paid but I was more interested in all the places they get to see.

"I've thought about this since I was a kid. I always wanted to be a Hawk. The way they help people but at the same time get to travel all around the world. I always thought it was the perfect balance between still doing good but not tied down with enormous responsibility." I said truthfully.

The most to get a reaction was Aihla. She smiled but also lost in thought at my words.

"That's actually really cool. I would love to travel too. Me though, I think, and don't hate, I'd like to be an Eagle." she says. Part of me wants to roll my eyes. Why would she choose such an arrogant race. But then I see Jessica start snickering.

"You're just saying that just so you can be taller, aren't you?" Jessica replies, fully laughing now. That results in Aihla trying to swat her wing. Now that she mentioned it, I can see just how short she really is. Jessica seems to be about average height for an owl. They look the same age but Aihla could actually pass for a older hatchling with her height.

I tried my best not to laugh but it didn't go unnoticed by the deadly princess.

"Prince or not, I dare you smile!" she proclaims. Somehow it only made my resolve break. I fell into laughter as if I was mad.

"That's it!!"

Next thing I knew she tackles me and tries pinning me to the ground. Her talons are curved in as she does the unthinkable. She finds the spot on the back of my neck that has me practically convulsing with laughter.

"Another example of your gift my Royal. I don't know how you always know who's ticklish and where their spot is." Jessica say.

After a while, once I surrendered to her, she stops and decides to let me get up. When I get home, no one would believe that I just got into a tickling match with the Princess of Neros. Soon though we flying once again after our little rest and cool down. We kept up with our questions, continuing to get to know each other.

By nightfall, we saw the few torches that were on the outskirts of the town. Agreeing with one another, we flew down and greeted the gatekeeper.

"Hello good sir. In there any Inn that my companions and I can stay for the night?" I say. Hopefully this town doesn't ask questions. Such as, why a crow is hanging around two owls? Or better yet, what are two royals from enemy kingdoms together?

"Of course. Before I have my squire escort you to our Inning, he must take you to our guards. We don't allow any weapons within the town. If this is a problem, there is another town 30 miles west of here." the gatekeeper replies. "Well then, welcome to our small town of Riverira. May you enjoy our hospitality and find everything you need."

As much as we wouldn't want to relinquish our blades and sword, we don't want to fly another mile either. So with reluctance, we enter and allow the young squire to take us to the guards. Afterwards the lad takes us to the Inn. The keeper there was just as kind as the gatekeeper. They brought us hot food after our long nice baths. The only thing we specifically asked for was a map of the area. None of us have really heard of Riverira. So we must be long ways from home.

The servant said that she could find one in the morning for us. Then she left.

We were bathed, stuffed with good food and really tired. "Goodnight Aihla, good night Jessica." I say as I get comfortable in the soft nest provided. Both of them said good night and got settled in their own nest. It didn't take long for either of us to fall asleep.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.