Meylo

I had a hard time going back to sleep the night before when Aihla woke us up with her screaming. What scared me more was that Jessica was worried and didn't know what was going on herself. I finally learned what a letahr was and that magick wasn't as simple as they make it out to be in the story books. So when she was concerned and had no clue in what to do at the moment, it really put me on edge. The incident didn't last long, thank goodness, but it didn't help not knowing.

Against my opinion, we decided to leave Aihla in her room to rest more while we helped the inn that was allowing us to stay for free with some of their chores. I got to know Jessica more. How she became a letahr to Aihla, her family and more. We were still talking when we stumbled inn our tracks. Luckily when we dropped our baskets due to seeing Aihla walking out, we had already delivered the water and the baskets were now empty. I didn't believe her when she said she was fine. Everyone knows that when you say you're fine, it means that you are indeed the opposite.

I wasn't the only one. Jessica had the same thought as me. Although she went about proving it differently than I would. I was speechless when the two owls began to fight. Sure I saw them when we go faced the Kijod and when we faced the bandits. But seeing the two of them go at it was like watching two waves colliding with one another. Yet that wasn't even the most impressive part. Aihla. She did this maneuver where she closed her eyes and turned her back, I had seen her do it with the Kijod before but I didn't think she would use it with Jessica.

But the moment she did, it reminded me when she uttered those words and the bandits became confused. Jessica tried shaking her head to avoid doing whatever Aihla was provoking her to do. However it didn't work. In a flash, Aihla had her pinned face down. Her talons were holding Jessica's legs and one on the back of her neck and she was holding her wings behind her essentially preventing her from moving even an inch.

I had to snap out of it when she called to me to ask me the time. Impossibly, all this occurred within two minutes and forty seconds. I could be off on the seconds since I didn't hit the timer exactly when the duel ended. After we picked up our baskets we went inside to have lunch. I chose this time to apologize to Aihla, finally.

"Hey, Aihla. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for before. When we were still in the woods, for laughing at you both. Saying that there was no such thing as magick. I was being ignorant and I really didn't mean any offense." I say with honest emotion.

She waves it off politely. "No offense was taken and the apology is not needed but I do accept it. I don't blame you at all. Heck, I actually thought Kijod weren't real and it still feels that way even though we fought one a while back. I'm just sorry that your intro to magick wasn't a better one. It's a lot to take in."

She's certainly right about that. Although knowing just how stubborn I can be, if it was under any other circumstances I would've pegged it for some trick for a child. I'm also very grateful that she accepted my apology.

When we were done with our food and cleaned up, we headed out and patrolled the city walls for any remaining bandits. Once in a while I would turn to look at Aihla as she had a distant look in her eyes. I didn't want to pry so I didn't ask her about it. If anything, Jessica would probably know before I do.

Nothing was found on its borders. The sentries that were in place also told us that there hasn't been any movement besides the wildlife. When we were done with our watch, instead of going back we chose to perch upon one of the big trees and relax. The silence was comforting at first until it became tense and filled with the questions we all wanted to ask but didn't want to be the first to speak.

"I was talking with one of the healers. Sometimes they get birds from other neighboring towns because they don't have the proper healers. Riverira isn't the only place that these bandits attack. These birds are safe now, we reinforced their walls and gave they them the perfect defense in case they do come back. They can protect themselves now." Aihla speaks but without looking at any of us.

I think I understand what she's trying to say. To go to the other towns, rid them of their attackers. Help them like we helped here. We all desperately want to go home, there's no doubt about that. But we have a chance to aid those who have no one. Our kingdoms have thousands of soldiers that could handle and probably already have settled the situation by now. Others didn't have that luxury.

"Further east there's another town. It's a port so their main lively hood comes from trades from the sea. They too have been under numerous attacks from bandits. Both from the forest and the sea. They can easily hold the border from the forest as they can see the bandits coming but they can't tell which ships hold traders and which hold bandits until it's too late and they're in the town." Jess spoke. Making it easy for all of us where to head next.

"Well it's been a while since I've seen a port town. When do we leave?" I ask with humor but completely serious in my resolve to aid the two women. That brought a smile to both of them.

"We can't leave without saying goodbye and our thanks. So tonight we gather what we can say our wishes. In the morning, we fly east for the town." Aihla said but in way that gave us the opportunity to cast our own vote if we disagreed. Neither of us did so we headed on back just in time for dinner and to get our things in order.

I hope nothing too terrible awaits for us in the next town.