Theo

With all things I have trusted my Queen. Yes, I think she can be a bit harsh and a little scary at times, but hey. That's what makes her one of the most respected monarchs in nearly every kingdom. She doesn't joke about or get intimidated. This past month however, respectfully, we can all see the difference. Each passing day without her son, our prince, she grows more restless and sad. We sent word out to the markets and our new allies with the ravens about the missing prince.

At first we all advised her that despite many knowing that we were attacked, it will be prudent to keep the kidnapping of the prince hidden. For a while she agreed. That is until yesterday afternoon. One of the guards came back from patrolling and overheard two citizens from the market conversing. Apparently, we weren't the only kingdom who was attacked and had someone kidnapped amongst them. Our enemy kingdom of Neros. They were also attacked and one of their princess' was taken along with another.

The two were brought to court to recount everything that they were discussing. Although the exact details of the attack were unknown, there was no doubt that both our kingdoms were disturbed by the same thing. So in an act of desperation, my Queen has elected me to go and speak to one of Neros' elected and see if maybe we could come together to discuss our options in finding our loved ones.

This did not go over well with her advisors. They all claimed the same thing. The moment that they saw me they would try to attack and kill me. One also suggested that this could simply be a ruse to ambush us. That they were the reason behind the attack. Raising her hand to end the discussion, she dismissed everyone and bid all good night. Except me.

"Theo, you have become a voice I value most in my ear. In fact, you remind me a lot of my son. So I want you to know that I am not commanding anything of you. If I were to meet and discuss anything with Neros, I want you to be my elected. However we cannot ignore the possibility of what was said. Should you go, they could kill you. This is solely up to you. You may decline if you wish. I bid you good night and in the morning you may tell me your answer and discuss this further in court."

That was all I could think about that night. If I do this, yeah, what if they try to kill me. I have never even seen an owl before. Some are rumored to be giant beast compared to our size. Almost the size of eagles. Their eye sight is far better than ours, especially at night and they can hear us way long before we'll ever see them. Ok, I'm very scared of owls.

But if I just stand back and wait.... There's a chance that the prince could die. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew that I could have done something that would've been helpful. That I could've saved the prince's life in some way. Before I can let myself overthink it, I get out of my nest and gather any provisions I need. I had a couple of hours before morning and I needed to go back to court. I hope the advisors see reason and try not to talk both the Queen and I out of this.

It felt like a lifetime had passed once everyone was settled around the table. In reality though it was only half an hour. The discussion would have gone on longer but each of the advisors were only allowed to speak once about their concerns, then it was my turn when she asked me for my opinion. Finally, it was up to her to make the choice.

"I have taken into consideration your worries and doubts, as well as your choice Theo. My decision is final. Theo, you will take a guard of your choosing that you trust and head into the one of the fields by the western market. Meet on neutral grounds. This is supposed to be a diplomatic meeting but please come back alive." she told me.

All I wanted was to please my Queen. But that was easier said than done. I waited in the market for about an hour until I finally saw a larger shadow fly above us. Two owls landed hard with intimidating and terrifying aura. Unlike us, they sat down with no fear and kept direct eye contact at all times.

For a while it was a starring contest. Until I finally mustered enough courage to speak.

"My name is Theo, I may be young but I am a guard for the court nonetheless and am it's appoint representative. This is my guard. I understand that your kingdom has faced a similar attack like ours. For that you have our condolences." I say as passively and sincerely as I can.

Every second that was spent with them looking at me, I felt like I was about to be dinner. The stories and legends about owls were feeble in comparison the reality of the beastly birds in front of us now. I don't even think I would be this fearful in front of a mighty eagle. Yet, I try to control my tremble.

"Thank you for your sincerity. Yes we have had an attack. They were using old magick and have kidnapped my youngest sister, the princess, and her letahr. Forgive me. My name is Radi. I am the eldest son of the King of Neros. This is my appointed guard." he said with authority.

Just before I had left for the neutral market, the Queen had spoken to me once again. She said she suspected that magick was involved. Any other time I would have laughed at the person who said that to me. On this occasion however, not only is it our monarch but what I have witnessed. Hearing this prince owl talk about magick fills me with both horror and dread.

Since I was a child I had always wanted for magick to be real. I thought it was something beautiful and good. But like many things in this world, there was a dark side. I just never thought that dark side would be an attack on the kingdom and a kidnapping of one of our royals.

The more we continued to talk, the more we realized that this wasn't some accident or bandits out for some ransom. Only problem was, we noticed it too late.