Dark Mage

I look over all our goods. I was told by the one true ruler who was chosen by the heavens that we are to be expecting two hundred altrikas. They needed to be in perfect mint condition. Even the slightest splintered wood could cause a misfire in the weapon. When I was first approached by my king that night, I was only a youngster. I thought he was just crazy. Utterly delusional, holding to the old words of his ancestors.

Then he showed me the first altrika that I ever saw. The first place we tested it was in a little new found village in Geddo. Most of the inhabitants were dying from the flu so it was a mercy really ending their pitiful lives. Seeing the destruction was beyond an honor. I had never seen anything so beautiful.

I had no idea that these magnificent machines were still around. We were all told that they had all been destroyed. But it didn't stop there. No, my glorious king wanted to prove that I needed to show my unyielding loyalty to him so he showed me something just as deadly. I remember his words perfectly.

"You see that shack over there? I want you to go to it and see inside but do not enter."

Following his instructions, I went down to the place he said and opened the door slowly. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw a young Kijod. It was small enough to still be held down by the chains but until it's fully grown they're slow moving. The fact remains though that this is the last thing that I expected to see.

First an altrika and now a Kijod.

It made my choice and path very clear to me. So I walked back out into the night with my head held high and a new fire coursing through my wings. My king only smirked when he saw my eyes. With his large wing he gestured nowhere in particular but it was more of a sign that he welcomed me into his world. No longer would I be shunned by the people. Those who tried to would perish or find themselves an unwilling participant in our vision for the world. Sure some would end up in such a place regardless as we needed bodies for their resources.

More and more I found myself discovering things that I had only heard were myths or simply never thought possible. One that I was slightly disappointed that were mere tall tales were humans. What a beautiful monster they sounded to be. I could only imagine the destruction they could cause a world if they roamed free.

Alas, it wasn't so. But I did manage to find things that were long forgotten. One of them being the spell that the first mage used along with the true ruler. My king's ancestor. The very same one that started the war. It was near perfect except for one little flaw. He only used it on owls and crows. By only giving conflict to two species it allowed the rest to become a voice of reason. That must be what brought doubt into the king and queen's minds. Allowing them to free themselves and the rest of their stupid kingdoms and thus ending the war.

So if were to infect every single species...

There would be war and blood on every corner of the realm. No one could reason because reason itself would have been eliminated.

It's why I am here now. Why I grew irritated when I heard of silly little owl stirring up trouble with her pathetic measly magick. She is just a spoiled princess who thinks just because daddy is king she has power. Not here she doesn't. What is intriguing is that I can sense her here. Just because I was thinking of her can't mean I conjured her.

With a wave of my winged hand, transported forty of the crates that were already being boarded on the ships to where my shop was. It was a shame that all these other machines would not survive but better to lose a majority than to lose it all. It may work to our advantage if she thinks that she destroyed them all. It would lead her to grow overconfident. Become reckless. Her own downfall.

Casually walking around so as to not draw her attention, wherever she was hiding, I made sure to go through every aisle. I picked up her scent. Ugh, I could smell the goodness in her heart. It nearly made me vomit if not for that slightest sour undertone. Not yet rancid but not pure all the way through either. That brought a little smile to my lips.

It seems as though our little princess isn't as good and pure as I thought. There's darkness in her. Nothing would be better than to corrupt her. Make her turn against her friends and family. Against her kingdom. I would love to...

Shaking my head, I lift myself up to see nearly everything on fire. A great distance I see some pirates trying to put out the flames engulfing a crate until it explodes. Spreading the fire more onto more.

To hell turning her. I'm going to kill her!

Who does she think she is standing in our way.

Nothing can stop us. Not when the heavens are with us. I will not allow this owlet to bring shame to my king.