Jess

I've known Meylo for a few months now and I can honestly say that he scared me more than that Kijod did. I know as a letahr we're never suppose to rule out someone being capable of something just because of who they are. We are taught that anyone is capable of anything given the right circumstances and situation.

Even a mouse can turn the tables on the cat every once in a while.

Aihla was more than capable of carrying him despite their size difference but right now I... I can't believe I'm going to say this but right now I don't trust Meylo not to have another rage episode when he comes to.

"This is not up for discussion, Princess. I will not have you in the same room as him until I know that he has control over his temper. Besides, do not act like you're not itching to see around the place. You've been obsessed with eagles ever since we learned about them in our lessons. Now go." I ordered.

I know that technically Aihla can knock him out again with the sleeping spell but even that can have some dangerous consequences if used too much on a bird. Another thing I know is that I've given Aihla more orders during these last months than I ever had in our life before.

I was prepared for her to aruge with me but was left speechless when she sighed and walked out the door. Once I could no longer hear her, I went back to sitting beside Meylo's bed nest. To the untrained eye, he looked to be in a peaceful sleep. But the lack of movement and too even of breaths, you'd be able to tell that this sleep was magickally induced.

Thinking back to earlier, how much strength he showed, I think it's best to make sure to secure this room. Standing up and kneeling to the center, I furled my wings together and began carving the runes in the air. Six of them to be exact. Four for the four corners of the room and two for the roof and the floor. With each wall holding a barrier rune, it'll safely hold Meylo in until I remove them.

Anyone can come in and out of this room as they pleased. It's only Meylo that can't come out.

I waited. It was perhaps an hour or two later that he finally began to stir awake until his eyes shot open. There was a blankness in his eyes for a moment. He looked around the room, pausing on each of the runes until he met my eyes.

"Jess..?" his voice sounded so broken.

So unlike the crow prince that I knew. Instead it was like a frightened hatchling. I left my chair and sat beside him. Wrapping a wing over his shoulders in a side hug.

"No, you didn't hurt us. Aihla and I are fine, though I should give you credit. You're much stronger than you look so I want a rematch on our duel. I just... I need to make sure that you're in control before I let you near the princess again. Whenever you're ready to talk, I'm right here to listen. There's no rush." I tell him.

I hate to assume things but I think that was what he was going to ask. I doubt he distinctly remembers just how much we had to hold him back.

A knock at the door pulls our attention. A young falcon slightly opened the door and asked if we wanted our lunch now or later. Smiling, I told him it was alright to bring it now and he soon left to fetch it. Silence resumed between the two of us. I had to just sit and wait. He had to make the first move. No doubt, all this was hitting him pretty hard.

He opened his beak and shut it again with a heavy sigh. He ended up doing that a few times before he actually spoke.

"I'm sorry you two had to restrain me. I just... the only thing I have of my father are the paintings that are in our great halls. That and underneath his portrait is his crown. The crown that he was wearing when he was supposedly..." his voice broke off again, "I don't understand why my mother would lie to me. Why did he leave?"

I want to say that I can understand his pain and confusion but I don't. In no way could I begin to understand it. He told us a little more that what Aihla and I already knew from what we were told about the king. I can't imagine how I would feel if my father had died when I was little only to discover when I was older that it wasn't so. I would be angry too.

"Do you think my mother knew? Or was she lied to by my father as well? Who else knew?!" He stood up abruptly from the bed and started pacing.

"What purpose would she have to lie if she did know all this time? But even if she didn't, what purpose would you father have? I didn't get a chance to read what the mural had written but you don't build such a statue for someone unless you wanted to honor them..."

I saw him roll his eyes at what I said. I tried to get him to reason not with statements but in asking questions that he won't allow himself to ponder in his state.

Another knock at the door and the falcon from earlier came and brought us two plates of toasted sandwiches with a soup. Fish soup from the delightful smell of it. I smiled and thanked him as he set down plates at the table. Blowing on the spoon, I started to dig in.

I looked up at Meylo and gestured at the seat across from me. There was no argument from him as he sat down and began eating.

"So did you think of anything?" I asked.

He looked at me in question. The spoon was halfway to his beak even though it was full. He dipped his head foward in a way of asking what I meant.

"The purpose. The purpose of why your mother would lie if she did know the truth and why your father lied. Even though we know nothing yet, it still helps to think about it so that when you do find out the truth isn't that hard to grasp. At least that's how my parents and tutor always taught it to me." I replied, dipping some of the sandwich into the soup.

The only thing you have to avoid in doing so is to not let yourself become too absorbed in one direction that you ignore or deny what is the truth that lies in another direction.

He continued to chew but I could see in his eyes that he was thinking about it. Even long after we finished our food we talked. I let him mainly speak, letting him get everything that he has kept to himself all these years. All the questions and feelings that he never expressed to his own mother.

By the end of it, he was exhausted. I figured that now would be a good time to take the runes down.

"I think it's time we go find Aihla."