Aihla

I woke in the middle of the night in so much pain that I screamed out and woke both Jess and Meylo. It was like my heart was being ripped out of my chest and someone was pouring scalding hot water down my throat. Then came this surge that travelled all throughout my body. I felt it in my blood, my bones and in my feathers. It felt like someone jolted me or shot me with an energy dart. I could fly around the world twice and still have strength to fight bandits.

Their first attempt to touch me, caused me to cry out. There was nothing visible, no bruising or anything of the sorts. Yet, my body felt like that when I was a hatchling and was having growing pains. It was all internal. So they remained at wing's distance but were saying soothing things and kept their voice light. Everything felt, well more. I tried using a chair to lean on as I stood but ended up falling back down when it broke under my pressure.

"Meylo, get one of the healers please. Hopefully they're done with the townsfolk. Aihla? Sweetie, can you hear me?" I could hear the fear in her voice. Funny how I'm the one going crazy and in pain yet hearing her like that makes me want to comfort her.

The pain in my throat is somewhat gone but it left me completely sore and unable to speak. So I simply nodded to her. The door swung open and Meylo was standing there but he was alone. "I couldn't find any downstairs. They told me that they're either out in one of the other building with more patients or resting. Do you want me to go find one?" he was more panicked than Jess was.

"No, if they're busy then they're needed. If not then they in much need of rest. Um, get me some water for her please." She told him. He rushed to the table and poured the water into a small cup, handing it Jess. "Hey, it's just water and it's room temperature. It shouldn't cause you any shock more than you are in right now, you need to drink. Please princess." My friend isn't speaking to me as my friend anymore but as her charge.

Thankfully my letahr crouched down to bring me the cup instead of me attempting to stand again. When the water passed my throat it was a bittersweet feeling. It was like putting balm on a burn. For obvious reasons it hurt, but once the initial contact was over the relief was immediate. I almost choked on it for drinking it too fast. Once the cup was empty, my mind cleared and my breathing returned to normal.

I tried standing again. I welcomed their help when my legs started to buckle. This time, I didn't cry with their touch. With their aid I was able to hobble towards my bed and finally sit on the soft nest instead of the hard cold floor. I wanted to talk to them, tell them I was feeling better and that I had no idea what caused whatever just happened to me. But the moment I sat, I slumped to the side and fell asleep.

When I came to, it was already midday. Surprisingly, I was alone. I was about to call out to Jess and Meylo but with the bedroom window open, I could hear them outside. Instead of calling them inside I decided to meet them outside.

The sun stung a bit when it hit my eyes but it wasn't too bad. As soon as I reached them, they dropped their baskets and rushed over to me. "What are you doing? You should be resting. Are you ok?" they say at the same time as if they rehearsed it. Before, I give them an answer, I feel myself for any oddities or soreness. I find none.

"I feel perfectly fine. I have a lot of energy that I would really like to burn off though. Honestly." I try to say convincingly. Not because I was lying but because I was indeed telling the truth. However, I knew that they would have a hard time believing me. Last night was intense and crazy and I have no idea what caused it. Ok, sure I might have withheld that there is an ache in my chest but it's not bad. It feels like I should be feeling sad. Which I guess I understand since it's been.. I sigh trying to think how long it's been since I was taken from my home.

So I labelled that ache to an emotional response to the entire situation and not linked to anything physical since even when I was fighting I didn't get injured in my chest.

Both of them are eyeing me with uncertainty but it's Jess who makes the first move. "Step into my office. Meylo, keep track of time would you? Let's see how long you last my Princess." she flaps her wings so she's propelled back and into a small clearing away from the inn. Once again, my friend has disappeared and is replaced with the letahr. I can hear Meylo's heart pick up but I don't bother looking back at him and meet my trusted in the center.

She tosses her weapons to the side, gesturing to me that for now it's going to be simply wing to wing combat. I know she won't actually try to hurt me, this is just a way for her to test or to see any injuries I might be hiding. So she'll push me hard but not too badly.

With a courtesy head tilt, we take our stance and in a flash she launches at me, catching me by surprise. At least with me, she had never initiated the first attack from the ground. Knowing that I prefer the ground, she usually goes for the aerial strike. Her first jab hits me in the shoulder but I could easily duck under the second. However, she doesn't wait until she hurls four more jabs with curled talons and a few wing slaps.

Finally coming out of my shock, I brace myself so when she comes at me, I duck underneath and grab her feet and take to the air and toss her before quickly coming back down. I was already in my position when she regained her balance and flew back down. I could hear her agitation when she saw how I was standing. She knew this position very well. The latest ones to get an introduction were my father and my brother Rodo. Though she has yet to actually be in a duel with me like this. I also suspect that this will also be a first for Meylo.

It was over in just under thirty seconds. I had Jess pinned and face down in the dirt. "Time, Meylo." I call out. "Two minutes and forty five seconds." he replied.

When I know she finally conceded, I get off and help her up. She shakes off her feathers, ridding herself of the dirt while smirking at me. "Now that I know first hand how effective that strategy is, I cannot wait to see you use it on a few bandits. I also request that you teach it to me if you deem it wise." Now that was something I wouldn't mind doing. With Jess' choice in weapon and this tactic, she'd be unstoppable. I might even consider showing it to Meylo.

We went inside for lunch and afterwards we patrolled the city walls to make sure a second attack of bandits wasn't headed our way. The ache in my chest was still there and I still didn't know what it meant. I just hope it's not something bad.