Aihla

"Nothing to report. There's only wilderness and plains. Seems that this is the only place with any sign of civilization."

"Only thing out there were cliffs and sea."

The four had come back to the spot that I had said. It was a relief to hear that this is the only part of the base. There weren't any other sections or anything. Which meant that all their numbers were right here and we wouldn't have to worry about any reinforcements. Though it also meant that we couldn't fail.

Just as I was going to speak the thoughts of what I planned to do I felt an odd sensation crawl around my neck. Not a cold one or like my feathers stood. Instead it almost felt like someone was tying a rope around me. There was nothing touching me or around me but the feeling got stronger until I looked toward where the entrance to the ships where.

Mark another check on things that are a big first for me. Bats.

I had heard that some were very small or at least just a smidge smaller than us owls. Yet this fellow here was quite large. Height wise, I think I actually might be taller which is probably the only time I've ever said that. Still, he was way taller than he should be for his kind. Also his wings really creeped me out. I've read that normally their wings can reach up four feet nearly five and yet his look to be pushing eight. They dragged behind him like he was wearing some sort of cape. Whether it was purposeful or on accident, it was eerie how the nails on his hands scraped the floor. Like chains or shards of metal that adorned the cape.

The more I focused on him the more I felt the dark aurora he radiated. Something deep inside wanted to reach out but it quickly got replaced with the urgency of what we came here to do.

"Alright, so every crate that I checked so far contains an altrika. It's basically a weapon of destruction and if they leave this place then we're all doomed. So not one of them can escape this place. Make a torch and light the crates. Make sure the fire takes hold before leaving to another. Light it at the midsection atop. From there it should quickly burn through dropping down to enter the potion placement. Once it reads the fire they should explode and set everything on fire. To be safe, light every third crate so you have enough time to dodge the blast. Understand?"

A nod from all of them and we set off. Though I try to remain on the task at hand something keeps bringing me back to that bat that I saw. Something about him is just lingering in my head. I simply just pushed through, ignoring the pull that I was feeling so I can get the job done.

One bird maneuvering through this place on the ground had a far better chance of going undetected. Four birds who were taller might have a more difficult time. From the perch I was in I set another spell.

"Ilusio." I whispered into the air.

From within I felt power leave me and go onto the four that were on the ground. I wasn't sure how to describe it exactly what it looked like. It was like a bubble had surrounded each of them, only instead of looking like an actual bubble it was like a slight haze. It didn't impede them from moving nor were they blinded by it. If anything it almost looked like they didn't know or feel that it was already done.

However the true testing of the spell was when one of the Brandt's turned the corner the same time as a pirate. He stood frozen, not knowing whether to flee or fight. The pirate on the other hand seemed to be oblivious. When he looked up, he just continued walking past my companion as if he wasn't truly there. Exactly what I was hoping for but when I looked at his face I saw how shocked and relieved he was which made me realize that he didn't know I had casted the spell.

In fact, I just now remembered that I never told either of the four that I would be using magick to help hide them. I was too busy focusing on ignoring the pull towards the bat that it slipped my mind. Oh heavens I feel like such an idiot. I need to apologize to them the moment we get clear of any danger.

Luckily he was smart enough to piece together that the pirates couldn't see him, as did the others. So all they had to do was stay quiet while they lit all the targets.

By the time they all came back to my perch the first lit crate finally burned through to fall to the center of the altrika. Mere seconds after the burning wood fell the entire thing sent out waves of fire on all sides. The rest followed swiftly causing an explosion so big that we had to leave our perch.

In the air we were able to easily pick off those that were trying to fly away. They didn't put much of a fight since they were trying to put out the flames on their feathers and not paying attention to anything else. The blasts was wide enough that it spread onto the ships that were in the harbor as well. Thankfully. As the hour passed, the fire was still going strong and after a fourth sweep over the island we all concluded that that was the last of them. We were able to stop the pirates that were already on their way and the ones here.

Even though we were tired, more than anything we all wanted to go back. At least this time we could fly at a better pace.

Despite feeling proud and relieved that we stopped them, I couldn't help but look back at the inferno. Was the bat there? Was he burning like the rest? I didn't like that I deep, deep, deep down I wished he escaped.