Aihla

I was startled by the albatross flying above me. When I saw that it was right behind the tail feathers of Meylo, part of me panicked a little. Ok a lot.

I knew that Meylo that could handle himself against most birds, even if he was outnumbered. They may not be a condor or harpy eagle but albatross could be just as big and their flying skills were terrifying. The could gain speed in an instant and their beaks were capable of great damage. My beak nearly dropped to the floor as I saw the giant sea bird crash into the lighthouse that had previously been attacked the night before.

My disbelief had been as great as when Meylo first heard about Jess and I talk about magick.

Instead of going in for what I thought would be Meylo's sure demise, the poor pirate crashed violently into the building until it dropped to the ground. Looking to where Meylo had flown back to, I saw many of the other birds under his command doing the same thing.

All of them leading them into buildings. I couldn't understand how this was possible. These birds could stop on a dime and change their speed faster than owls. Are they really that deranged and blood thirsty that they couldn't bring themselves to stop?

I didn't have time to ponder on it further when a loud bang went off behind me. One of the burning ships had it's left underside blown open. I thought it a good thing until birds began emerging from the water.

The plan was solid. It did work. As the ships crashed against each other and against the rocks, setting aflame, we were able to reduce their numbers a great deal. It would dumb to send birds onto the ship to kill the ones on board.

Let them burn and drown.

But I should've known it wouldn't be that simple. Father taught me better than that! To never assume anything, always be prepared when the plans change.

I was lucky enough that the mist worked. I wasn't about to try a new spell again so soon. The hearing/locating spell wouldn't be successful with the sounds of the waves would cause too much interference. I may be a fast an agile flyer but I don't trust to hold my own against sea birds. The most training with water I had was when I would play fight with my brothers in the stream by our castle.

C'mon think quickly Aihla!

The only thing that came to mind was keeping to the original. If they wouldn't burn, then let them drown. I launch myself from the perch and headed towards the ships. No matter how small of an owl I am, my beak is just as sharp as any others. I've definitely had practice to put it to use.

Diving down I bite down on the thick rope. Quickly snapping it.

I'm not done however.

That wasn't the only rope I was planning on ripping and I thought of the perfect spell for me to use. Flying through every bent and broken post I seek out every piece of rope I could find. Once every piece is cut it collapses the remaining wood sending the birds deeper to avoid being hit.

That is when I speak my words.

"Ingurgito!"

I know I said I wouldn't use another new spell but something came over me and it was almost like an impulse. By impulse I don't mean that you can't stop speaking the words you are thinking. Instead when I mean impulse I mean that while I know exactly when I spoke, it also felt like I was watching myself speak.

Heavens above that didn't make any sense at all.

My point is, well I can't focus on what my point is right now. My eyes are fixed on the scene below me. The pirates never got higher than two feet above the water before it grabs them, pulling them under. The water just wrapped around them like a blanket. Even when they were sinking to the bottom, you could distinctly tell something was holding on to them. Almost like there were two different types of waters.

I stayed and watched until they disappeared into the dark that not even I could see. Once it's safe I fly back to my perch. While I could still hear some of the fighting going on in the town, I refused to go there right now. Even though there was only an hour left until this attack would be deemed over by what the locals had said. I could see the slightest bit of light creeping over the horizon.

Even so, I couldn't leave. Anything can happen in a hummingbird's wingbeat. I didn't want anymore surprises coming from the sea tonight.

-------------------------

Not one single pirate bird flew away from the port. It may have seemed cruel to not leave any survivors but we weren't merciless with our kill either. A large percentage of the albatrosses were fatally wounded and would not survive any interrogation.

Meylo, Jess and I concluded that it would be reckless to use any magic or resources to help heal them on the slight chance that they give us any information.

We didn't end them the way they would've us but with a soothing tea with a few drops of a simple sleeping potion. Opening the muzzle we had put them so that we could pour it down their throats. Once they fell asleep their bodies their bodies were too relaxed to fight against wounds.

One by one they each took their last breath. By noon, the last pirate was being wrapped in sheets and tossed into the sea.

As tired as we were, we didn't have time to rest. There would be another attack tonight. I fear this one would be worst once they realized their friends never made it back to wherever it is that these pirates are coming from. Speaking of which, I really should ask. Perhaps we could stop this at the source.