Meylo

There was no way to process what I just saw. At least not right away. When I saw Aihla in the town leaning up against the building, I knew what I was seeing but at the same time I didn't. I saw the ripple come out of her and spread like any normal ripple would. This time though, it wasn't a ripple. It looked like a bunch arrows flying out of her mouth. Obviously these weren't actual arrows. They looked a little misted and were pink in color. Their flight pattern didn't match that of a normal arrow either. Instead they zoomed around almost like they were picking their specific target since some would fly pass multiple birds just to get to one.

Even after she pulled out her daggers and charged I was still glued to my current standing. I knew what I saw and I have always stuck to my belief that if I can see it then it's real. But now that it's right here in front of me, happening around me. It's like my mind refuses to grasp it. I only moved when I noticed that they were losing the haziness that they were trapped in. I had no idea how long whatever Aihla did lasted but I couldn't let her do this alone. Hearing Jessica curse behind me also reminded me that we had to buy her time to disable the weapon that these bandits brought in.

Shaking my own head, I helped Aihla dispatch of these birds. There were so many that we barely could deal with half off them before the haze wared off completely. I felt so disappointed. I prided myself in my skill and the fact that just because I was a prince didn't mean I didn't mean I was a snobby little thing. I should've reacted sooner. But there was nothing we or I could do about that now. What I can do is make sure I lend my skills Aihla and give Jessica as much time as she needs.

Our salvation came when guards from the town came flying down attacking those who were already free from the haze. Three went to aid Jessica. It all lasted about ten minutes before we heard the call for a retreat. Once in the air did we see the contraption explode.

Four hours later, the last of the bodies of the bandits are thrown into the fire. As tired as I was from the fight, I helped out as much as I could. Jessica was tending to Aihla because as soon as it was clear that it was all over, no more enemies to deal with, she collapsed. She didn't pass out but she did start to fall from the sky and thankfully Jessica and another guard were there to catch her before she hit the ground. When I flew down to check on her it looked like she hadn't slept in weeks.

Is she that tired or was this the price of... of um.. magick? Wow, it feels weird saying that out loud.

One of their healers, after having tended to everyone otherwise Aihla would have protested, followed Jessica's instruction to help her. I was trying so hard to focus on what they were saying, what Aihla needed, but the guards kept asking me what more they could do to mend the broken fences and whatnot. I had a few questions of my own with how long have these attacks been going on, what exactly is wrong with these birds since they weren't like any bandits I had seen before.

They answered as much as they could honestly.

"It started a few years after this town was established. We don't know what started it, they just came out of the blue all of a sudden one night. At one point we did capture a few of them, but it didn't go anywhere. It's like they were mad or something."

"No one or anything could get through to them. They wouldn't even speak. They kept just making the old bird calls. Like they were primitive or something."

"They've gotten worst over the years. I don't mean just their hygiene, although that has not been upkept in any fashion. They used to just smell but now they're feathers well you got a good look at them. However I originally meant that these last few years their attacks have been more frequent and they've become more feral."

Many more were telling me everything that they went through. All the plans that they have tried to keep their people safe. Eventually they couldn't think of anything else that they could enforce so they worked on evacuation drills. Getting as many to safety as they can but even then it became futile as they said that they had become more savage and they couldn't get to the safe houses and tunnels quick enough. There was nowhere for them to go since they didn't have a port of any kind and with rumor spreading about these lands, no traders as well. These poor birds were isolated and defenseless.

I was worried when dinner came around and I still had not seen Aihla or Jessica. My worries were quickly swept away when I saw both of them coming down the stairs. Both looked really tired, more so Aihla. She was able to walk on her own but when she reached our table she just sort of slumped down on it. A little smile showed across her face when she realized that I hadn't eaten due to me waiting for them.

"You didn't have to you know. It's been a long day, I'm pretty sure you're starving." she said.

I simply shrugged it off. I didn't mind the wait. It was out of genuine concern for the two of them. Plus, I had some apologizing to do. But I'll wait until we have some food in our stomachs first. We didn't have to wait long for it either. Three little birds holding large trays walked right up to our table and set them down while on their toes.

"Thank you for helping us and save our town. We made you our best dish." all three said adorably.

One of them walked further up to Jessica and gave her a beautiful purple and green marble. "Hello sweetheart, my name is Jessica. May I ask your name?" Jessica asked the child while slightly bending down to her eye level.

"Hi missus, my name is Anton. Thank you for saving me and my mama. This is for you, it'll help guide and protect you." after placing the marble in her wing, he gave her a quick hug and then ran back to who I assumed was his mother wrapped in bandages.

Dinner went by fairly quick. More came to thank us but otherwise didn't disturb our meal. The dish was different from our first night but it was absolutely delicious. By the time we got to our rooms and had another bath, we were all too tired. Tomorrow, for sure. First thing in the morning, I'm going to apologize.