Jess + Meylo

They say that seeing the sun coming up over the horizon is supposed to be inspiring. It's supposed to remind you that whatever horrors plagued through the night didn't win over you. That you survived. Though you can't really call it surviving the night if there was no danger around you. I mean obviously we never let our guard down completely but the birds were all starting to panic that nothing was happening.

So after much discussion between Meylo and I, we decided that instead of having them waiting and growing more anxious we would start helping them rebuild their town. Because it was still dark out when we all started working, the only thing we had them do was remove all the traps we had set in place for the night.

Once the sun was starting to rise did we start taking out all the needed supplies and handing them out. While Meylo was handling most of the buildings in the town, I focused on the few posts that they began putting on the rocks.

We suggested that they put guard towers so that they could see oncoming ships before they got close to port. A strong base fortified with iron plates should allow them to withstand weather, waves and time.

Further out we placed markers on the larger rocks that looked like they would be gates to this place. Accidents happen and some things slip through despite having watchers. These markers would signal in the guard towers that would let them know that someone was coming.

As much as I wished I could put a spell for them to know friend from foe or those with ill intention, I unfortunately don't know any spells that could do that.

I could however help out with the hospital. Once I was done here I had some ideas and spells that would certainly help those who would need it in the future. I knew how to cast those and given the position of the sun on this town I could put a solar spell. With it the other spells would constantly be charged with the rays of the sun.

If Aihla didn- once Aihla returns I could ask for her help if she has the energy and strength so that it could be done faster instead of in sessions. We could make them extra absorbent so that even on cloudy stormy days they would still work.

I was going to ask if they needed anything else from me as I fastened the last knot on the lantern in the tower when I instinctively felt my charge.

Turning to the horizon I saw five tiny figures coming closer. Though with our sight I could see the goofy grin that my princess always seem to be sporting whenever she surpassed expectations or made a great achievement. That little grin was the only gloating or smug attribute she ever showed.

I probably scared everyone around me as I launched to the air with a loud cry. Thankfully their fright was short lived once they saw what caused my reaction. A few of them flew over with what looked like medical carriers.

Both of us nearly crashing into each other, embracing in a tight hug before we resume our flight instead of falling to the sea.

"I swear to Lakshmi, Aihla! You are the most foolish, daring and bravest bird I have ever known. Are you ok? Are you hurt? Do you need anything?" I ask her frantically like I was a mother with her hatchling.

"I'm alright Jess, I promise. I think I just need a little rest and definitely some food. Are you all alright? Where's Meylo?"

"We're all good. Come, I'll show you." I gesture for her to follow me. The others take the other fighters she had taken with her to the hospital.

**************************************

Worried?

Anxious?

Near to pulling out my feathers?

What is there to be worried about? It's not like we spent the entire night waiting for an attack despite the fact that we all moved so we could do something productive before we lost our minds completely.

I didn't think I would have grown this attached to a couple of owls let alone in this short span of time we've had. With Aihla gone, the last thing I wanted was to not have Jess within my sights. Just because they had magick it didn't make it any easier having them away from me.

Normally physical activity would help me get my mind of things. However I don't have any hatchlings to train or my mother's drills. I couldn't help much with the rebuilding that they were doing since my mind kept wandering off and I kept messing up the measurements. Spent the majority of two hours remeasuring everything instead of actually constructing.

I didn't want to just not do anything, sky above that doesn't even make sense does it?

In order to not feel like I was in the way or useless I placed myself like a hatchling who wanted to help their parents with tasks. I handed the tools and material to whoever needed them. Yes I handed a hammer to one bird when she had asked for a pen but it was only once and I caught it before I fully placed the hammer in her grasp.

Thankfully no one laughed or scolded me for anything that I had been doing.

"Meylo!"

I stood stiffly when I heard her voice call out to me. Noticing the reaction from the others around me I knew that it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me.

She was here!!

"Aihla!" I shouted with relief and joy as I shot out faster than iron from a cannon.

Before I could collide with her I pulled back so that we could settle on the balcony of an already fixed building. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her more than whatever she has endured.

"As much as I would love to hear everything that you went through, your feathers look like they're going to fall off any second. Bathe, eat and rest. We can talk whenever you wake up."

She and Jess give each other a look but it's Jess who has a smirk. I'm guessing she told her the same thing I did.

"I will, I will don't worry. I just wanted you to see for yourself that I'm back before barging in on my nap." her humor is intact so I let it slide the distance I saw in her eyes for now.

Once she wakes up she can tell us everything she needs to. I'm just happy she's back.