Meylo

When the sun begins to rise above the horizon my eyes hazily open. I let out a sigh of frustration knowing that I have another long and endless day training the hatchlings. This is a way for my mother, the Queen, to punish me after last month's fiasco.

I may have been overly eager to catch a certain trespasser in our lands rather than attend another meeting that required my presence. There was a scuffle and I got a good but, or rather an unlucky one, and he went straight through the doors in which the meeting was being held. So, my first impression with our visitors who happened to be diplomats from the kingdom we were trying to gain an alliance from, was me punching someone who landed unconscious on their table.

To say my mother was displeased was an understatement. Not only did the alliance hang by a thread, but she doubted my ability to be responsible. Claiming she's had enough of my recklessness and childish behavior.

Well, it's not that I don't take responsibility seriously or act like an immature scoundrel. I didn't ask to be a prince. I never wanted to be crowned King in the future. To have my future wife assigned to me not because of love but out of royal laws. All I want is a simple and peaceful life. One where I don't have to question whether someone wants to use me for my title. Or rather one where I can eat freely without any fear of anyone who might want to poison me.

But since my father died, my time table of freedom is ticking. Not only am I the oldest and only child, which means within a few years when I come of age my mother would hand down the position to me. But I'm tired of all this. Tired of training these young crows. Not because I have anything against them but when I am King, eventually I will end up sending these poor souls to die in war.

How can I be expected to look upon their faces now and pray that I did my best in their training and feel nothing when I see those same faces coming home lifeless? How can I live with myself, wondering what I could've done better to prepare them? What are the proper words to write to their families?

Truth is I can't, I won't and there are none. I know it will break my mother's heart and possibly damage my kingdom but when the time comes for my coronation, I will deny it. I can't runaway without having them sending a search party. All I can do is pass it along to someone else.

In the meantime, I will do my duty that was asked of me by training the hatchlings.

I set up the wooden dummies we use as practice in dueling. That's another thing. I find it a little offensive that all of them are owls. I've only ever met three owls in my lifetime. I was maybe ten and they maybe fifteen. They were bullies and tried to push me around.

To a degree they did since they gave me a black eyes, well blacker than what my feathers show. But they never got my bread and they left with their own bruises. So yeah, were those owl jerks? Definitely. But three owls don't justify having hatred for a whole race. I know about the great wars many years ago, but like I said. That was years ago.

The treaty to me seems very outdated and unnecessary today. But it's still enforced, a little too much if you asked me. Please don't ask me though because I was asked once and I got so many glares from the elders for outrageous thoughts.

I learned to stop asking about the owls and the war after constantly getting the same answer.

"The owls are murderous and evil. They started the war and even though there is peace, they won't hesitate to kill you where you stand."

Hearing it so much became annoying and infuriating. It made me want go down to the markets to test my theory. It's quite simple really, my theory is that they're wrong. Yes those three owl bruised and bullied me. But all they wanted was my bread, not my blood. There were three of them. They were bigger and older, they could've killed me easily then if they were as bloodthirsty as my people claim they are.

Also, I bet my lucky arrow that the owls get told the same thing about us.

Anyways, the little ones clumsily come flying in and get in their lines in front of their dummies. "Alright, kiddos. Today's focus is how to strike at an owl's wing. On average, an owl's wingspan is larger than ours. Making them stronger and faster. But they are silent hunters. You take out their wings, they can't fly away or hunt you. Everyone, in their stance!" I say in my best command voice.

By the time the sun begins to set I dismiss them all and start cleaning the area. Suddenly I feel my mother's gaze on me. When I turn around, I see her flying down, wearing her royal white and peach gown and glistening crown. Both making her black feathers more pronounce and her garments glow.

"I see that their training has come along very well. Your skill is nearly surpassing your father's. Although I'm sure your feathers are tired of being in the sun all day, how would you like to join me in welcoming the diplomats from Jonis? Perhaps if they saw you cleaned and we'll groomed, they can get the other image out of their heads." Her tone laced with the usual judgement and disapproval.

I take it back, being out here with the trainees isn't so bad. No way I can tell her no though, not unless I want another lecture or whatever else she'll conjure up to punish me. Not to mention the joke will technically be on her since I prefer the outdoors compared to the sealed rooms and halls of the palace.

"It has been a little warm for my taste. Allow me to bathe and I'll join you in the greeting hall." I hope my tone was friendly and not sarcastic.

Reluctantly, I went to my closet after my bath to find my best suit. If she wants me to her charming and submissive prince then I will for now. So, I choose the suit that matches their kingdom's colors. I make sure to go to the kitchens and inform the chefs to prepare a specific course for them as well.

That should help getting on their good graces by letting them know I know of their traditions. It should also impress my mother too although I doubt it.

In the greeting hall, we wait patiently for our guest. Our delightful servant begins to introduce them. "Your majesty the Queen of Baldir and his highness Prince of Baldir, I present to you Bertrand, Merton and Garbett. The ravens of Jonis."

Both my mother and I bow our head in respect and they bow at the waist in their respect to us. Ugh, I hate bowing. It's humiliating and to me it actually feels like a lack of respect. You want people to respect you, then how about not making them bow as if they're inferior to you. Eye contact, kind words and honesty can develop more respect than that gesture ever could.

But it's another thought I always keep to myself.

Seated at the table, the servants bring out the dishes I had asked them to prepare. The ravens are moved by the sweet notion and the eldest of them compliments me on my garments. This earned a prideful smile from the Queen.

By the end, they are all cheerful with banter and discussing the terms for a treaty. With five signatures, our alliance is formed. New trades, resources and markets will be available for both kingdoms by both sides.

When we hold our glasses up for a toast, we hear the bells from the perimeter ringing. Signaling an attack. I grab my mother's hand and usher her and the diplomats to the hidden chambers we have to keep them safe from the battle. Before I can shut the door, I'm pulled away and rendered into darkness.