Aihla

It was impossible not to see the resemblance. For Heaven's sake, it was as if Meylo himself had posed for the statue. I can't even imagine what he's going through right now. Looking over at Jess, I see her own worried expression. I nearly had a heart attack when he stumbled mid-flight. Jess had to dive down and fly beneath him just in case his wings gave out or he fainted which if I'm honest I'm surprised he hasn't done either already.

I was having a hard time wrapping my head around what I was seeing. All the thoughts that were flying around in my head. I had heard that the king of Baldir died in some war or something. I actually can't recall. Maybe it was bandits..?

Oh what does that matter right now!

I glance back at Meylo and see that he is faltering in his flight more the closer we get. Not wanting to risk an injury, I gave signal to Jess to help him land. We'd walk from here. I can see the small and poorly made out road from here. Most of the trees have been cleared out and they tried to smooth out the dirt as much as possible in case someone with carts traveled here. But judging by state of the place and road, it seems that it was rare for them to get any visitors.

Even the top of the city was covered. It was like one big box.

Upon landing, Meylo's legs almost gave way. He didn't bother looking at as he straightened his back and marched forward. His eyes just kept looking at the statue of his father. The way he looked at it, the way he walked, it was as if we weren't even there. Meylo was being drawn to the city like a moth to a flame.

Nothing we said or did could get his attention, so we just continued to walk behind him. Keeping an eye out on the trees. These were much more dark and thick than that of which we encountered when we first arrived in Geddo. But at least in that forest the sun was able to breach through the branches. At least when were inside we could tell that it was day.

Here, the branches looked so cramped together it was suffocating. I doubt even a hummingbird could squeeze through. I was so bust looking at the forest I didn't realize we had reached the main gate. Intimidating wouldn't do enough to describe how it looked. It was hard to determine whether they were trying to keep something in or something out.

All three of halted in our tracks as the gates began to open. I felt the feathers on my back shuffle.

I can't see any visible spots or cracks within the walls. How did they know we were here? It couldn't just be that they were waiting at the gate. Otherwise, what the heck are they doing, just opening the doors for everybody that just walks up to them?

"By the heavens, you're a spitting image of him!" the eagle spoke.

Holy heavens!!

That's an eagle! Like an actual freaking EAGLE is standing before us. I thought... I thought.. thought that they were all eaten or killed by the Kijod. And yet, one is standing here talking to us.

"Please come in. We have just made lunch and I'm sure you three must be famished. After the food, we can discuss business." he moved out of the way for us to pass through.

Passing past his large body was an experience to say the least. Granted there's only a handful species of birds that are smaller than me but I am still used to being the smallest bird in the room. Especially standing next to some of the more elder owls. Those that are three feet.

This guy is easily a couple inches past past three feet. His body is huge. It wasn't all feathers.

The three of us walk in and are in for another surprise.

I was right when I said there weren't any visible spots in the walls that indicated a gust of wind could enter here. Despite that however, the air in here didn't smell old or funky. It wasn't exactly fresh as from what was only a couple feet behind us, still. It was very odd.

Until it wasn't.

There were in fact cracks in the walls. Just the faintest little lines ran along the ceiling and walls that I think, if I squint hard enough look to be access sites. That must be how they get fresh air in here if they open up those things.

Not looking where I'm going, I end up bumping into Jess. She wasn't the only one who stopped abruptly.

Meylo was standing in the middle of a courtyard that had a small pillar standing in the center. It held a three peice frame. In each frame was a photo of a crow. One crow in particular, the middle one, stood out. It was Meylo's father. Meylo stood right in front of it, simply staring. At least that's what I thought he was doing.

In a flash, Jess and I were hold him back from trying to smash the picture. The rage he had in his eyes and the way he cried out, it was more than fury. It was a child calling out for their parent.

We didn't want to hurt him. He was much stronger than we had thought. I spoke the words without hesitation.

"Somnum!" I touched his head.

Both Jess and I had to catch our friend as he slumped over in our wings. It broke my heart. I can't even imagine the pain he must be going through right now.

"I think lunch might have to wait for a little, any chance on a couple of rooms good sirs?" I ask, slinging his body more over mine.

We had gathered a a bit of an audience. The one at the gate was not the only eagle here. There were hundreds. Many more were coming to the street to get a better look at us.