Aihla

We were two hours into our journey and I'm not ashamed to say that it was challenging. I have flown under intense heat and cold, through rain and wind but never an ocean. Here, if you fly too low then you risk the waves engulfing you. Fly too high and the cold winds can sweep you away. We fly with all three. It made me feel like I never had a day of training in my life.

Rain beat on our wings as if rocks were being thrown on us. The wind threatened to knock us over or into each other like we were balancing on one foot. Both didn't help and there was nothing to do besides to keep moving to stop our feathers from freezing.

I must say though, as much as I love being an owl, seeing the two pelicans to my right have me feeling envious. They too may be getting their work cut out for them but they don't look to be in the same struggle as the rest of us. I'm glad because they are some of the most skilled warriors I have seen. Ones that no doubt would make my father and older brothers proud. I would need their skills before this is over.

Three more hours passed and finally the weather seemed to have cleared a bit. There was still the slightest of drizzle, but the wind had completely ceased. That's when we saw the first sign of them nasty pirates. At least ten more ships were sailing their way to Meer. Nearly twice the number from last night. I guess when the others didn't return they either were infuriated or worried or both.

Slowing down our flight, we came to a hover over them until we silently perched on the tallest of sails. I was torn. There was no way we could continue on to find the base nest and leave this party to keep going. The point of us leaving was to stop all further attacks. However, it was just six of us. A small number that we were able to spare and only those who volunteered to come with me.

With a deep breath and silent prayer I looked to the two pelicans, "Just how long could you hold your breath under water?"

As the two of them dove down to start breaking holes into the bottom of the ships, I sent the two cormorants down deeper in the waters. I'm told that these two companions are experts in diving and can swim as deep as 200ft or more in search for the fish. Meanwhile, I will cause distractions from above so that the pelicans can break through the wood without being noticed.

The plan was to have the pelicans create big enough holes in the bottom of the ships so that water can seep through without flooding it rapidly. The two cormorants will swim down enough to find some schools of fish and herd them towards the surface. In the panic of the fish they will be breaching the surface trying to escape. Sure fish can be small but one good smack to the face is enough to have you seeing stars.

Plus, the holes would be big so that they can swim through them and get inside as well. Hopefully, if it all goes well as it did in my head then this will keep their attentions as I rip through the sails until finally they come down blanketing the decks. But I wouldn't do that until I saw the signs of them sinking or that the fish had begun to overwhelm them.

No magick was used during this encounter. I had a feeling that I was going to need everything I had for the rest of them. As I watched some of them peck their way out from underneath their fallen sail we dove down and ended them before they could get out of the water. Of course with the numbers that they had there were some that managed to fly out but I had practiced more in my aerial fighting since I was last at home. Once the last of them went down and the last piece of the ships fell beneath the water we resumed our flight.

By midnight we reached the first signs of land. We were a bit exhausted as I'm sure this is the most that any of us have ever flown. But we couldn't just sit here.

"Alight, you two go to the south and east. Tell me how far this land goes until you see the shore. You two, to the north and west, same thing. Remember, staying hidden is very important. We don't know how many are here or what kind of weapons they have so do not engage. We meet back here in thirty minutes. Clear?" I try to tell them without sounding like a cold general.

After nodding they all flew to their given directions. For once I was happy with how small I was. I could easily sneak through without flying and quick enough to evade their eyes. Carefully maneuvering through the large crates to one of the hallways, I felt something inside. A feeling that I feel should start familiarizing myself with. Only this time I felt like I heard my father's voice calling to me or rather instructing and guiding me.

"My darling Aihla, here!"

I turned back around so fast that I almost bumped into the crates. They may be too big to topple over from just my body but the noise could draw attention. Shaking my feathers and my head, I take slow deep breaths to relax myself. Obviously my father is still back home in Neros. When I start to move in the direction I was going I heard it again.

"Darling in here child!!" more forcefully than the first time.

I came to where exactly the crate was standing before me since this is where I'm hearing my father's voice. So taking a shot in the dark, I slowly and quietly pry it open. When I see what's inside I nearly lay an egg!

After closing it gently I go around opening every large crate that I can find. Every single one of them contained an altrika. Just one could level an empire. I opened at least fifty crates but I see that there's more than a hundred. If the rest contained this once saving mechanism turned weapon then the entire world is in danger.

What bothers me more is that these pirates aren't even using these. I know that would seem like a blessing but these crates look like they are to be delivered. These aren't meant for the use for their raiding and attacks. That leaves the question of who could these be going to? Also, how do they have so many and why do they need this many?

Ok it leads to more than one question. But I only have one answer for right now and that is that whoever wants these can never get them. So the moment my internal timer goes off, I fly back to where we agreed upon meeting back up. I need to hear what other nightmare my companions have found and I think I have an idea on how to destroy this entire base.