Aihla

I love my father. He's a good man and a good king. But that doesn't mean I agree with his choice against me joining his guard. I have four siblings, two older brothers and two older sisters. I'm the youngest of the five, so everyone looks at me like some cute and delicate little owl who always needs protection.

Every time I go to the training dome my siblings, my father and the rest of the warriors try to tell me that I shouldn't worry. That I will always be safe and guarded so I don't need to train.

No. My place is on the throne guiding my people with my intelligence and kind heart.

Now I'm not saying that I'm cruel or dim, but that isn't for me. Simply that the diplomatic seat isn't for me. I want to be able to protect those I care about, not just talk endlessly with a council without ever coming to a decision because they can't agree on anything. That's why I train when no one else is looking.

Also, my opinion that I've never share with anyone for good reason, is not one that anybody would like to hear. Let alone my father. I shake my thoughts away and ready myself for my usual training.

It's an early Thursday morning so I know I'll be alone for at least two hours before my brother's first regime comes back from their own formation training. So I started with my evasion tactics for when I'm in the air. Because for some reason, I'm awkward in the air.

Yes, I know I'm an owl, but I'm better on the ground with a sword or a blade. I'm so into my session that I don't hear my brother or my father.

"My darling Aihla!!"

I instantly drop my blades and look up to see my father flying down to greet me. Some of his feathers have begun to turn white but I feel like that makes him more intimidating. His golden eyes contrasting with his dark blue feathers. One look at us standing together, you wouldn't guess father and daughter right away. It's more like predator and prey.

My eyes too are golden like his but my colors aren't as deep. My eyes and feathers are more honey colored. And I have two white-ish circles that go over my eyes so it looks like I have huge glasses.

This appearance and my height, or lack of it, only add to my need to dispel the whole "cute and delicate" thing people have put upon me.

"Sweetheart, just what do you think you're doing?" My father asks in his sweetest voice which only seems to be reserved for me. Even when he's gotten angry with me, his voice is always light and calm. At some point though it goes past comforting and straight towards antagonizing.

"I'm done with all the chores and studies father, I thought maybe I might try the blades for a few minutes." And honestly, I thought I had more time out here to myself before anyone would ever see me. I kept my voice as innocent as possible and that last part to myself.

I didn't dare mumble it since we have incredible hearing that pick up a mouse a hundred yards away under the snow. My parents always heard what my sibling and I mumbled under our breath. Something we learned not to do to avoid further punishment for talking back.

Also, he can't ask my need without having to doubt the training itself but here we go, cue the lecture. Cue the remarks around me. Oh no! The princess has been caught doing something she shouldn't have.

What comes next not even the fortune teller could've predicted.

"I see that. Why don't you show me what you've learned?" He asked politely. Everyone except my brother are frozen in place. What just happened? Is he baiting me or something?