Chapter 955

Matt's POV: Once I came out of the bedroom with the gift Gabby gave me, I smiled when I saw my mom burping Matteo. This was her first experience being a grandmother and I was going to let her soak in the glow of being a new grandmother. However, Gabby seemed a bit antsy to get him back. "Gabby, just relax. My mom hasn't ever really been a grandmother before so...she's really excited about seeing Matteo this young." Gabby then turned to look at me. "Violet?"

I shook my head and sighed. "She was already in trouble." Gabby nodded and understood while cuddling up to my side and rubbing my chest. My mom looked at Gabby. "You tired already dear?" Gabby shook her head. "No, just really comfortable in Matt's arms. I feel safe from the outside world when he holds me in his arms. Like Matt's probably already mentioned...this virus has already affected my entire family. I just hope that my mom doesn't get it or my brother."

I nodded and sighed as I moved my fingers through Gabby's hair. I then moved to kiss her forehead and sighed as I whispered to her. "You need to relax okay? If you keep stressing about it...you will go insane. Gabby, just know that stuff will work out. And I promise that we are safe." Gabby then bit her lip and sighed before looking at my mom. I could tell she didn't want to say anything so I just kissed her forehead and held her to get her to relax. "Gabby, she's fine."

Gabby nodded and understood. That's when I heard my phone ring and sighed. However, when I saw it was my sister...I was cautious to answer. Gabby must've seen who it was and then answered it for me. "Talk to your sister." My mom then turned to look at me. "Christie?" I nodded and then put the phone up to my ear. "Hey sis, what's up?" Christie sighed. "Why didn't you tell me that you're flying mom in for Christmas. I just tried calling her. She didn't answer....so I called her friend. She said she was going to Chicago."

I then sighed and spoke to my sister. "Honestly, I didn't even know mom was coming to Chicago. Had I known, I would've picked her up at the airport myself. However, I can reassure you right now that mom is safe and COVID-free. She took a test before she came." Christie sighed and understood. "Wait, that means that..." I then decided to put my phone on speaker. "Say hi mom." My mom then chuckled. "How are you sweetie? Merry Christmas!"

My sister was shocked. "Merry Christmas to you too mom! Why didn't you call to let us know?" My mom sighed. "I didn't know whether you'd want to see me or not. We don't exactly have the best relationship right now." Christie sighed and understood what she meant. "Mom, COVID has changed everything. I want you to be safe. I am just glad that Matt is letting you stay at his place. Believe me, both he and Gabby would've been on my bad side if they made you stay in a hotel."

I sighed when my sister said that. "Christie, trust me...that would've never happened. You have to remember that you are not the only one in my family that has had COVID. My niece, nephew and Gabby's ex-Sister-in-Law have all had COVID. And Gabby only has one brother." My mom looked at Gabby when I said that and then just shook her head. "Oh dear, I'm so sorry Gabby. I wish I would've known...I would've called to send my wishes."

Gabby smiled and nodded. "Anybody other than Christie have COVID?" My mom shook her head. "Not yet, however my brother Jake is being quite risky. I am scared he's going to get it." Christie sighed. "I wish I could be there to celebrate Christmas with you guys. I really do. However, I'm stuck in Florida and safe just so that you all know." I smiled when she said that. "That's fine sis, we'd rather you be safe at home. However, please promise me that you won't listen to what your neighbors or your governor says."

Christie agreed. "I'm listening to what Governor Cuomo and Dr. Fauci have to say. DeSantis is an idiot and I am ready to move back to Illinois as soon as possible." I smiled when she said that. "It would be great to have us all live in the same city again. Mom, you sure we can't say anything to convince you to move back to Chicago?" My mom chuckled. "I think this grandson of mine here is all the convincing I need to move back to Chicago. If you wouldn't mind...I'd like to help while you're at work. We both know you're not going to stop working at the fire department."

Gabby smiled when she said that. "I'd love that. Honestly, the cost of childcare is going to keep going up. I've been looking ahead and the spots are filling up fast because they're required to cut the number of slots they have at each daycare in half. It's part of Illinois' limit on the number of people in a room." I nodded and grabbed her hand before smiling. "We always have your brother too. Remember? He's working from home until the pandemic is over because of Sylvie."

Gabby smiled and nodded. "That reminds me, I need to call him. I promised I would tell him when we're home. Haven't done that yet." I nodded and agreed. "Then go ahead. I will wait here with my mom and Christie. Want me to tell you when the food's here?" Gabby smiled and nodded before bending down to kiss me. "Thanks." She then walked away to the bedroom so that she could call Antonio and let him know that we've made it back to Chicago safely.