Chapter 960

Matt's POV: After getting my mom set up in the living room, I smiled at her. "You sure that this is good enough for your back? I know you hurt it a while back." My mom just looked at me as she put her hand on my cheek. "Matthew, it's fine. Now, go be with Gabby. You look tired." I sighed and nodded. "I just feel guilty. I mean, you're here and it's Christmas Eve." She chuckled and smiled. "And tomorrow morning, we can spend time together. Matt, you can't stop living your life just because I'm here." I nodded and agreed.

"I was going to stop by the firehouse tomorrow at their soup kitchen if Gabby let me though. Maybe you could come with me? I'm sure they would love to see you." My mom thought about it and sighed. "I've never met your boss and I am not ready to yet. I don't want to ruin your reputation at work." I then grabbed my mom's hand and sighed. "Mom, you can't. I already have the highest honor there is. I have a medal and I am a captain." My mom was confused. "But, you're a paramedic now?" I nodded. "They can't take my rank away."

My mom smiled when I said that. "I'm sorry I didn't come." I nodded. "It's okay. Was a dramatic day. Anyways, I was dealing with my father-in-law at the same time anyways." She nodded and agreed. "I just wish Gabby's father was more supportive. I know your dad would've loved her." I sighed. "I don't think about him much to tell you the truth. He abused me mom." She nodded. "I know, I have the scars too. Just glad you don't resent me for not stopping me."

I was shocked when she said that. "Hey, you were getting abused too mom! Don't you dare blame yourself for not protecting me. You were just as scared of him as I was..." My mom then interrupted and spoke up. "Scared enough to kill him." I sighed because it was the truth. "In my opinion, it was justified. Sure, they couldn't prove that at court but...I've seen women go to drastic measures to get our of situations where they are being abused. So, I understand."

My mom smiled when I said that. "Now, we just need to get Christie to understand." I sighed when she said that. "We're trying to get back to where our relationship was, I promise. But listen...tomorrow's Christmas and it's been a long past 48 hours. If you don't mind...I'd like to head to bed and just rest." My mom nodded and smiled. "Then go ahead. Goodnight." I nodded and smiled before making my way to the bathroom.

That's when I saw that Gabby was just finishing up in there with Matteo. "You bringing him right to his bedroom?" Gabby nodded. "He's almost asleep." I nodded and then went to kiss his forehead. "I thought you were taking him right to bed the first time you left?" She sighed. "I wanted to wash him since we haven't done it in a few days. It's easier when he's almost asleep. Less squirming around in the water." I agreed and laughed. "Okay, let me brush then I'll be right in." Gabby agreed and smiled, walking away to go put Matteo in his crib.

I then made my way into the bathroom so that I could get ready for bed.