Another Way For Vengeance

<<>>

Morgana didn't know how long she waited on the crest of the hill. It was long enough for her tears to dry up and her hair to become even more untamed by the wind than it already was. She couldn't believe it, she refused to believe it. After everything... everything that had brought them back together... She couldn't help but think back to all those years ago, when he was only a child. She had promised him that nothing bad would happen. Nothing bad would happen to him. Now here she was, weathered by years of mistreatment and loneliness, marking his grave with a few stones and a sword. 

"The battle's not over, Mordred. We will have our revenge."

They would pay, Arthur would die and Merlin... Merlin would die too, but only after he suffered as she suffered, felt the sting of betrayal and heartbreak like she had. He would die, but it would be slow. 

She turned away from the gravesite, ready to meet with the few remaining ranks of her army. However, she gave pause. She couldn't shake this strange feeling that had persisted ever since she reached this spot. It was almost as if something was watching her. Her heart skipped a beat. Could Emrys be on her trail now? Was he here? She stopped this train of thought quite quickly. It was foolish. Merlin would be coddling his dying king. 

No, this was something different. Something less finite. She tried to brush passed it, thinking of the long journey ahead. She could not allow Emrys to reach the Isle of the Blessed. 

But there it was again! A slight shift in the breeze, a quiet hum in the air, what was it?

"Who's there?" she called out, using a voice haggard by the battlefield. 

"Hello, Morgana."

She whirled around, coming face to face with none other than Mordred, only it wasn't Mordred. He appeared the way he had the day they'd met. A light blue cloak billowed in the wind around his shoulders and blood dripped from the wound in his side. 

"Mordred?"

It sighed and spoke in a young Mordred's voice. "No, not Mordred."

"Then-"

It held up a hand. "I know you must have many questions, but there is no time for me to answer them all, nor, is it necessary for you to understand everything."

"Who are you?"

The being smiled. "I cannot give you a who, I cannot give you a what, but for your sake, I'll give you a name." It extended a small hand. "You may call me Kyulds if it pleases you." 

"Kyulds?"

"Yes." Kyulds said, peering behind the high priestess. "I am sorry for your loss. I know he meant much to you."

"He was the last thing I had."

"I know. It must be painful, living with the knowledge that Mordred is someone you'll never see again. How many people have you lost in this battle. How many more will you lose."

"As many as it takes," Morgana said through clenched teeth. "But none of that matters now. There's no one left for me to care for. No one for me to look up to, no one for me to guide. Even Aithusa has left me in favor of Emrys. I am only trying to take my rightful place on the throne! I was only trying to return this kingdom to something like it used to be! Somewhere where people like me could be safe."

"But you strayed so far from the path, my dear Morgana. Hardships and obstacles stood in your way as you desperately tried to cling to a crumbling world. It was a task too great for anyone."