The Sword In The Lake

Arthur knocked on the door of the small stone hut. He and his men had set off on their patrol several days ago, but had found nothing. They didn't dare venture too far into Cenred's lands, not yet anyway, stopping just short in Ealdor to rest and replenish their supplies. Arthur was frustrated, not only with their unfruitful trip, but also with himself. How could he have been so stupid! Of course Morgause didn't leave any visible trail! This was just a waste of time! 

The door creaked open and the friendly dark haired woman smiled at him. 

"Prince Arthur! What a pleasant surprise. What brings you to Ealdor?" She peered passed him and Arthur felt a twinge of guilt as he realized she must be looking for her son. "Is Merlin with you?" Her smile faltered. Arthur knew the grim expression he wore on his face must have told her everything. "Please, come in."

He followed her inside and took a seat next to the barrel that functioned as a table as she sat worriedly on crates stacked in the corner. 

"There was an attack on Camelot. A sorceress named Morgause brought a curse on the Citadel that forced everyone into a deep sleep. Merlin and I were away at the time, so we weren't effected as quick, but eventually... we succumbed to it. Morgause was attacking at that time with these terrifying knights... I thought we were all going to die, but... we didn't. We woke up and everything was fine. Morgana said she fought off Morgause and wounded her, forcing her to flee. But after the attack, after everything cleared, we couldn't find Merlin. At first I thought, he must be around somewhere and I would find him after everything settled, but it's been days and there's no sign of him! I... I..." He had to catch his breath, the worry in his voice reaching a breaking point. "I don't know where he is and I'm afraid it has something to do with that witch, Morgause. I fear she's done something to him, taken him somewhere... I don't know what I'm supposed to do or how I'm supposed to find him!" He massaged his brow with his gloved hand. "I'm sorry Hunith. Your son is lost and it's all my fault."

There was silence for a moment before Hunith rose from her seat and approached the prince. She put a comforting hand on his shoulder. Of course Hunith would try to comfort him, Arthur thought. He couldn't imagine Hunith being mad at anyone, even if they were responsible for putting her son in danger.

"I've been out here, searching Camelot's lands, all the way along the border, but I don't even know which direction she fled!"

"Prince Arthur-"

"When I first realized he was missing I thought he might have come here to... I don't know why he would come without telling me, but I thought he might have wanted to visit you... I don't know, but it's evident he's not here so..." he rose from the table. "I'd better be off to continue the search."

"Prince Arthur, please!" Hunith tried a little more forcefully. "You need to stop moving so fast. You look exhausted, you need to rest. How about you and your men stay here for the night. Then you can continue on your way in the morning."

"I can't rest now, not when Merlin is out there alone."

"And if you do find him now, what are you going to do? How are you going to fight off his captors in such an exhausted state? I want you to find Merlin as much as you do, but you can't stop taking care of yourself. It defeats the purpose of a search!"

Arthur sighed. "You're right... you're right..." He plopped himself back down in the rickety chair. "I just feel awful. He... he's probably out there alone and I can't help him. He's in danger because of me."

Hunith knelt down next to him. "There's a part of me that agree's with you, that wants to blame you for leading my son into trouble," she smiled weakly. "But then I think back and I realize... Merlin is capable of finding trouble all by himself, always has been."