Time Is Impatient

The night had been like any other. Gwen extinguished the candles before wishing Morgana a pleasant night, there were no violent disturbances that shook the courtyard or lower town, all was quiet. Occasionally the wind blew past her window, moving her ornate curtains, but nothing more than these small sounds interrupted her peaceful chamber. 

She was just about to drift off into a comfortable sleep when she heard a voice from somewhere very close to her ear.

"Hello, Morgana," it said casually. 

She shrieked and rolled out of bed, frantically rummaging through her night stand, looking for something to light a candle or, worst case scenario, a weapon to defend herself with. 

"There will be no need for that, it is merely me."

Morgana looked over her shoulder, peering at her bed. She recognized the cadence of the voice, the certain relaxed inflection used at the end of a sentence, but the tone and pitch was completely different. 

"Kyulds?"

"Indeed, I am." Kyulds waved his hand and the candles surrounding her bed instantly lit. Morgana recoiled at the sight of the form sitting on her bed. It was the form of a young girl. She had dark hair, pale skin, and was wearing a dress that Morgana recognized. 

Kyulds met her questioning expression with his own confusion. "Why are you looking at me like that?" He looked down at himself. "Oh, I see. The last time we met I took a form that was more... comforting for you. I can change if you like."

"Who are you now?"

"I like to adapt to the environment I'm in. This person left a very significant mark on the world recently." His eyes were filled with unexplained woe. "When a person thinks about another person, associates them with some sort of intense emotion, whether is be love or hate, it is easier to hold onto that certain memory. I embody those people, alive or dead, who have left significant marks on peoples lives. For you, I chose young Mordred, as you had just felt that loss."

"But who are you now? I've never met a girl like that. That dress though..."

Kyulds laughed. "Who said I only embody people for you, Morgana? No, this one comes from someone else's thoughts."

Morgana felt a light pang in her heart. "From Merlin's?" She hated that, for even a moment, she felt sympathy for the boy. She made sure her demeanor hardened once more.

"Yes."

Morgana nodded in understanding. "So... what do I owe this surprise meeting? You could do with giving me some sort of warning next time. A note perhaps?"

Kyulds waved the girl's hand. "I couldn't be bothered. Either expect me at all times or be surprised when I show up."

"Why have you come?"

Kyulds frowned at Morgana's frankness. "I said that I would. I didn't know how long it would be before I regained my strength. But now, I am fully rested." He stared at the fingers attached to his hands, then looked up at Morgana with only his borrowed eyes. "To be perfectly honest, I thought I might not have to visit at all. I thought Merlin might be dead by now."

"Things have been... complicated."

"Oh?"

"You didn't tell me my magic would be compromised."

He shrugged. "I said the only thing that would remain intact would be your mind. Magic is something you'll have to remaster."

"But that takes time."

"Indeed."

"Which seems to be the only thing on my side. Time, I mean."

Kyulds smiled. "I'm sure." He got up from the bed and stood in front of one of the windows, letting moonlight spill onto the face of the girl he wore. "I take it you have a plan?"