Cause And Effect

"I have magic too!"

No, no, no, no, no... This was not what he was supposed to do. "What?"

"I was born with it... I could move objects around with my mind before I could even talk. I couldn't control who I was, just like you! People in my village... they didn't like it. It's why I had to leave Ealdor, leave my mother... She sent me here so Gaius could help me control it. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Morgana... I should have told you a long time ago, but... I was afraid." His eyes were full of shame. 

"I-"

"Please, Morgana. This... th-" he clutched his head. "This is... 's not the way." His body could no longer strain against Morgause's powerful spell. His breaths were deep and ragged. "Morgana...? Stop this... I understand... but it's not the way... please tell her to stop this..."

"I'm afraid that won't be possible," she said coldly. 

He furrowed his brow in confusion, startled by her shift in tone. "Wh- what's going on? What do you mean? It's-"

"You should have done it, Emrys. You should have killed me when you had the chance."

His eyes widened further. 

"It was not meant to happen this way."

"What are you...?" he couldn't finish the sentence. He held onto the wall, attempting to steady himself to no avail. He slid down the stone, landing in a heap on the floor. Morgana knelt next to him, meeting his wide blue eyes. "Mor-"

"Shh..." She put a finger to her lips. "There's no point... is there... you've made things more difficult for me, Emrys."

"How..."

"How do I know? You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

The doors burst open and Arthur stumbled in, barely managing to close the heavy doors and lock them, before falling to the floor. 

"What have you two been doing?!?" he gasped. "The cart's ready and I've been calling!" His eyes fell on the near unconscious Merlin on the floor. "Wake him up!" he stumbled over.

"The rope we made is not long enough!" Morgana managed, slipping back into her helpless demeanor. Then he just fell, he's not getting up!"

"Merlin!" Arthur yelled in his face. The boy reached out and grabbed Arthur's shoulder with as much strength as he could muster.

"Arthur... she's... she... the source..."

"She? Yes, I know Morgause is behind this. I saw her." He clutched his head, struggling against his own feelings of exhaustion. "You have to get up!!"

This time there was no response from the boy. His arms dropped to his side and his eyes rolled into the back of his head. 

"Merlin!" Arthur shook him, slapped him even, but it was no use.

"There's no point!" Morgana said. "He's asleep! There's no waking him now."

"Dammit!" Rage and frustration bubbled in the prince's voice. He set Merlin down gently on the floor and stumbled to the window to examine the rope for himself. He cursed under his breath as he realized Morgana was right, the rope would never reach the cart safely. He looked wildly around the room, searching for any other method of escape. Bangs echoed from the other side of the door. He hit the wall with his fist, releasing his rage and frustration. "Morgana we have to-"

The doors burst open once more, collapsing under the strength of the seven knights. Flecks of dust and splinters flew through the room and midst the dust Morgause strode confidently into the chamber, the seven knights of Medhir standing menacingly behind her. Their expressionless stares carved trenches into whoever was unlucky enough to fall into their gaze.