The Lady In The Lake

"Boy? Boy, are you awake?" Uther asked gravely. 

Two knocks. Yes. 

Uther paused for a moment. Then, decided to ask the question that had been plaguing his mind. "I wonder how long Morgana has been enchanted... We must release her. I'm sure she's struggling against it, as am I."

At first, there was no response, then just one simple knock. No. 

Uther had dreaded that answer. The way his ward was acting... she didn't seem hard pressed, it didn't seem like she was acting under someone else's volition. Morgana was willingly letting her guardian suffer under the control of an evil enchantress and it shattered Uther's heart. "No? You don't think she's enchanted."

One knock. No. 

A tear escaped Uther's eye, but he was quick to wipe it away even though there was no one to see it. "She has betrayed me?"

Two quiet knocks. Yes. 

Uther pulled himself together. "No, I refuse to believe it! She can still be saved."

No response. 

"But first, we have to escape ourselves."

Two knocks. Yes. 

Uther took a deep breath. Years of violent wars and battles had hardened him, giving him the ability to shove his emotions deep into the recesses of his mind when they weren't convenient. "I think I have an idea." 

<<>>

Even though it was barley evening, Morgana could barley see anything as she rode against the rain. It wasn't a heavy downfall, but it chilled her through to the bone nonetheless. 

"Pylece," she said and was pleased when the warmth returned to her body. Although her magic had not yet returned to the state it was in before she met Kyulds, it was getting better. Kyulds... she hadn't seen him in quite some time. She wondered when he would make his next appearance. Given that Merlin still wasn't dead, he was surely bound to make one. 

She slowed her horse when she reached the clearing. The trees parted to reveal a lake that sparkled with each rain drop that fell on its surface. She dismounted and approached the water, unsure of what to do next. 

She held her hand above the water. "Agiefan!" Nothing. She tried again. "Ahebban!" Again, nothing. Maybe she should have allowed her sister to retrieve the sword. Maybe she would have known what to do. But, Morgana still could not shake the strange feeling that had persisted since she looked into Merlin's mind. Something was here and something wanted her. Not a moment later, she realized what it was. 

The water rippled in waves against the shore, greeting a young maiden who began to emerge from the water. Instantly, Morgana recognized her. Kyulds had once inhabited her shape. She had long dark hair that clung to her skin. Her brown eyes were warm and wise, fixing Morgana with a penetrating gaze. The blue fabric that made up her dress was a shear blue and drifted around her waist, suspended by the water. In her hand she grasped a sword, which Morgana knew must have been excalibur. 

The women simply stared at each other for a long moment, their eyes locked together. The woman in the lake was the first to speak. 

"Morgana, you know you're not supposed to be here."

"Something brought me here, to this lake. Something called out to me."

She smiled. "I was the one to call out to you, but that's not what I was referring to. I meant, I know you shouldn't be here, in this time."