The Fires Of Idirsholas

"I'm a herder from the northern plains, sire. Three nights back we were camped beneath the walls of Idirsholas." The peasant held himself awkwardly in front of his king, clutching the hem of his shirt and staring at the ground. 

"Not sure I would have chosen such a place," Uther responded casually. 

"Good pasture is scarce at this time of year, sire-"

"And what is it you have to tell me?" Uther interrupted, bored by the day to day life of the simple man. 

"While we were there we saw smoke rising from the citadel."

Uther looked to Gaius who stepped forward. "And did you see anything else?" the physician asked. 

"No."

"Did you go inside?"

"No, nobody's stepped over that threshold for three hundred years. You must know the legend sire..."

"When the fires of Idirsholas burn the knights of Medhir will ride again," Gaius recited. 

Uther rose from his seat, a hint of worry in his eyes. "See to it this man is fed and has a bed for the night." The quivering man was led away. The king turned to his son. "Take a ride out there."

"Why?" Arthur seemed quite surprised with his father's orders. 

"So we can put peoples minds at rest."

"Surely this is superstitious nonsense..."

"Gather the guard and do as I say." The king retreated to a back chamber. 

Morgana strode confidently from the room, contrary to the men filing out beside her. They whispered nervously to one another, the old describing the legend to the younger members of the court. Many laughed at their worries, citing that it was merely a legend with no truth to it, but the elders ground their teeth and chewed their lips, knowing what might very well come. The fear in their eyes brought Morgana the utmost satisfaction. 

"Do you think there's any truth to it?" came the maidservants voice from behind her. "Do you think the legends are true? or do you think it's superstitious nonsense?"

Morgana put on a smile she hoped was reassuring and looked back to her. "I'm sure it's nothing to be worried about..." Gwen didn't look convinced. "And if there is, I'm sure we'll be safe. Arthur and the King will be there to protect us." Her insides nearly boiled with laughter at this statement. "Although," she added thoughtfully. "I'm sure if all goes to hell, you'll be spared. After all, you are a most loyal servant."

Gwen furrowed her brow. "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing." Morgana shrugged and continued to walk down the hall. "Just trying to make you feel better... feel safe."

"Well, thank you." They smiled at each other. 

<<>>

To Morgana's delight, another message appeared on her windowsill that evening in an ornate box. 

<>

Dearest Morgana, 

Everything is almost in place. The last component I need is you. Meet me in the same spot tonight at midnight. I will wait for you.

- Morgause. 

<>

Morgana folded up the slip of paper and tucked it away into the pocket of her dress. It was finally time.