I Couldn't Save Her

It was another week before Morgana received a message from her sister. Too Morgana's delight, a small box on her window sill appeared one evening, housing a piece of parchment on which a message was inscribed. 

<>

Sister, 

Meet me tonight in the darkling wood at dawn. When the time comes, you will know how to find the place. I look forward to speaking with you.

- Morgause

<>

She rolled it up, relieved she would finally be able to confide in her most trusted confidant. Morgause would know what to do. She always did.

"Gwen!" she called. 

The maidservant appeared from behind a screen. 

She smiled at her. "I would like to retire earlier tonight. Could you prepare my bed?"

"Of course."

"Thank you." She returned to staring out the window. She would retire early so as to rise before the sun, although she didn't know how she would be able to sleep with the knowledge that she would soon be in the presence of her sister. She was rarely able to sleep with even minor anticipations and excitement. 

<<>>

Indeed, Morgana had been right that she would get no sleep, but not for the reason she had expected. She had drifted peacefully off for a few hours until...

BANG!!! 

Shouts rang out from the courtyard below. The sounds of metal against stone and stone crashing against flesh. She shot up with a start. 

"Gwen!"

"I'm here, my Lady!" She entered the room nursing a dim candle.

"What on earth is going on down there? Are we being attacked?"

"There was some sort of magical creature ravaging the streets! Not to worry though, I believe the knights and Prince Arthur have already taken care of the situation."

Oh yes, Morgana remembered now. Arthur had boasted of how he had slain the beast which had killed many innocent citizens. She recalled being disturbed by the battle before. She sighed to herself. At least some things remained the same. 

Although the raging noises had quieted, she could not get anymore sleep. She stayed awake in bed until the first signs of dawn peeked through her window.

She was up, and slinking through the halls. Morgause was right, when the time came, she knew where to find her sister. She could feel her magic pulling her towards her. 

"Sister," she called into the lightening clearing. 

Morgause emerged, wearing her signature elegant red dress, bedazzled with gems and stones of the prettiest sort. "I'm here."

They embraced affectionately. 

"Morgause, I'm so pleased we are able to meet. So much has happened since we last spoke. There is much to discuss."

"Well then," Morgause gestured to a fallen log that they might sit upon. "Do tell me everything." 

"Like expected, nothing arose from what you told Arthur about his mother."

"Unfortunate. He looked murderous as he rode off."

"I'm sure Emrys was the one to talk him down. Oh, Morgause, I did my best to live everything the way I had done, but something happened that was new. I am unsure what to make of it..."