Unburying A Dragon

Morgana's entire body tensed as Kyulds reached for Excalibur. She closed her eyes, not content with her death, but unable to think of a reasonable way of escape. Her only hope was that after her death and Kyulds reset everything to try again, her new self would be able to find away to break this cruel cycle. She wondered how many other versions of herself had had this exact thought before Kyulds drove Excalibur through their hearts. 

However, before she could feel an impaling sensation, she heard a violent shout coming from in front of her. She opened her eyes to investigate what could possibly be keeping her from death. 

"Morgana! Take Merlin and the king and get out of here!!" Her brother was in front of her, his own blade straining under the force of Excalibur's shadowy wielder. He gritted his teeth as he mustered his remaining strength. "Morgana! Run!!"

Morgana didn't need him to say it again. She grabbed Merlin's arm and began to pull him in the only direction of escape, the nearby open window. They were trapped in a dead end, the hall they had come down completely barricaded by jagged chunks of stone and ceiling. She didn't bother attempting to drag Uther along as well, he would only slow them down. 

"Morgana, how do we get down?" Merlin gasped as he stared at the courtyard far below. Darkness had set in. The ground could only be made out by watching the reflections of lamp light bouncing off the rain soaked cobblestones. Thunder rumbled beyond the citadel walls and flashes of bright lightning accompanied the blasts. 

"We're going to have to jump!" Morgana called over the noise. She stepped carefully over the sill and placed herself precariously on a thin slippery ledge. She reached out her hand to Merlin, helping the injured boy balance beside her. 

"Jump? Are you insane!?"

The clanging of metal could be heard from inside where Arthur still stood his ground. He swiped his sword towards Kyulds who used Excalibur to block, once, twice. 

"Why won't you fight back?!" Arthur growled. "What kind of game are you playing?!"

Kyulds continued to defend himself in silence, attempting to get past the fierce Pendragon to no avail. 

"Fight me! Why won't you use magic!" Arthur shouted at him, growing more and more frustrated and confused at his opponents seemingly lack of gritted enthusiasm in their fight.

"Let me pass, Arthur. This is not your fight."

"No!" Arthur swiped again, landing a nasty blow along the side of Kyulds face. However, the man's face was already battered and bloodied by years of anguish that the new scratch was unnoticeable. 

"I will not fight you, Arthur. I do not have it in me," he said sadly. "You're only delaying the inevitable."

Morgana turned her attention back to the precarious situation she found herself in, her feet dangling off the edge of rain slicked stone. "I know a spell that might be able to help us!" she shouted to Merlin. 

"Alright then!" He held on tight to her arm. "Then do it!"

She shook her head. "No, I can't! I don't have complete control over my magic and if I mess it up then we're going to fall!"

"Then what is it?! What's the spell?!"

"It's, befón et betreppan mé! Have you got that?!"

"Befón et betreppan mé," Merlin repeated. "Befón et betreppan mé." His eyes burned gold.  

Morgana knew this was their chance. "Jump!" Together Morgana and Merlin hurled themselves away from the window and towards the courtyard below. Morgana prayed that the spell had been enough. Kyuld's shouts from above her rapidly faded into the night.