Chapter thirteen

Angela's point of view:

The lump in my throat grows bigger as we pull into the driveway.
He doesn't say a word,
neither do I.

We glance at each other before slowly getting out of the car,
standing there in the cold night air,
goosebumps raising all over my body.

Though I'm not sure if that's the cold, or the look dads giving.

Emily gives me a sympathetic look before walking back inside, now just leaving the three of us.

" Do one of you want to explain? Or should I just know from the way my daughter is dressed and sneaking out of her bedroom window like she's seventeen again" He says sternly.

I glance over at Spencer,
his eyes moving to dad and back to the ground.
All I want to do right now is be near him.

" Dad, this is over the line. I'm twenty two, not seventeen and sneaking around for gods sake".

" No Angela. It's not even that, he's a coworker, we work together, if anyone important found out about this they'd have something to say".

Swallowing the dryness in my throat, I open my mouth to say something but Spencer beats me to it.

" It's my fault I let it go on this long. I only wanted to be there for her as a friend to get her out of an unhealthy relationship. It didn't mean anything Aaron, nothing happened and I do apologise".

His words sting,
they burn like nothing i'd ever felt before.
Leaving a bad aftertaste.

Turning to face him, I try and gain his attention but he doesn't look my way.
Instead he stares at the ground.

" Well whatever it was or wasn't, it's done now. I'll see you at work tomorrow Spencer" Dad says.

He only calls him Spencer when he's mad.

I watch as he walks back over to his car and climbs into the front seat, not once looking at me.
He then drives off before I even have the chance to say anything.

" What were you thinking Angela? My job could've been ripped right from me if anyone found out about you two" Dad draws my attention back.

" No one did, and as Spencer said it didn't mean anything!".

I storm inside, slamming the door shut behind me.
Childish I know, but I may as well act how he treats me.

Emily stands there in the kitchen with her lips pressed in a flat line.

" If it makes any difference, he's under a lot of pressure right now with this new case".

" I'm going to bed". I mumble before pulling myself up the stairs.

God, how could I be so stupid?
At least I didn't sleep with him, that would've made me furious over his hurtful words.
Words that probably wouldn't have hurt me if they were from another mans mouth.

But they're from his.
And for whatever fucked up reason, that aches.

Crawling into bed, I toss a few pillows on the floor before getting comfortable in the bed.

Fiddling with my fingers,
the urge grows stronger and stronger,
before I know it I'm reaching into the bedside table and grabbing the small bag.