Crying over a boy

That next morning passed like nothing, just like the next two days did. George wasn't hanging out by himself like before, but he was definitely more distant. At school he still hung out with the upbeat group, but he was quiet and didn't say much more than a 'hello'.

Clay still did his usual greet and check ins, with that he still constantly questioned that night. I didn't do anything, right? I was just sleeping? Maybe he let the awful words back into his head? Clay couldn't find one single conclusion that sounded right. He learned nothing in his classes, Wednesday through Friday, only one constant thought in his head. What did I do?

It was now Friday, the day before the party, which wasn't forgotten since that's all Nick could talk about. Everyone was at lunch, eating away. Normally George was with them by now, being already five minutes into their lunch period.

"Anyone know where George is?" Clay asked the group, his tone very worried. He looked out the large window, seeing dark stormy clouds hover the skies, then he looked back at the group. Sadly, everyone shook their heads no. No one had a class with George so that kind of made sense, how would they know. Clay let out a heavy sigh, not touching his food.

"Aww, is Clay worried about his boyfriend?" Alex jokingly teased, everyone giggled and 'awed' at this. Clay rolled his eyes at his friends.

"No, I'm worrying about a friend." Clay corrected, though it hurt. Why did it hurt so badly to call George a friend?

Nick now rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Psh, yeah right. 'Friend' totally." Everyone nodded and laughed. "We all know you've had feelings for George since we met him." Nick was now spitting out the facts.

"Well, what about you and Karl, huh?" Clay pestered back, turning and facing the two now very red-faced boys, "Hmm?"

"Oh-well, umm, guess maybe you got a point there." Karl said almost apologetically but he had very playful tone. Nick nodded, picking at his own food awkwardly. Alex and Clay burst out in laughter for a good number of minutes.

"Okay, guys I need to go find George now." Clay said standing and waving to his fellow friends who were back to laughing and joking around. A couple of byes came from the boys then Clay was down the halls, walking towards the oak tree.

When he arrived the bare oak tree, he wasn't surprised when he saw George sitting on the bench, reading peacefully. Clay jogged over and sat by the brunette. He also wrapped his arm around the shoulder of George, letting out a relieved sigh.

George jumped, looked away from his book and up at Clay, "What! - oh, h-hi Clay." he said nervously then closing his book and putting it away. "Um, what do you want?" you could tell George wanted distance, but Clay wasn't going to let him be now. It had already been three days; he needs to talk.

"We need to talk about the other night." Clay said straight up, smiling reassuringly at George. The brunette scooted away from Clay's arms in which he allowed, removing his arm from George's shoulders. "You can't just distance yourself, George. It's not going to help, and you know this."

George nodded and inhaled a short, quick breath, "Fine," right, it's going to be fine. Just tell him everything, except the 'I love you' thing, yeah. I don't want him to think it's his fault. It wasn't... but it was? No.

"You ready?" Clay asked, prompting George to start talking.

"Y-Yeah, yeah. U-Umm, so-"

"It's okay, take your time. We have like another twenty minutes, it's fine." Clay assured, not once removing eye contact.

"I technically just let my thoughts get to me. I um, well- you talked in your sleep. You said something and it just startled me. That's all really." George gave Clay a weak smile.

"What did I say?" Clay said quickly, not only curious but also scared. This could be what I did.

"Uh um, it was nothing really."

"George, please tell me. What did I say?" Clay asked again, ignoring how sensitive it may have been, "You can tell me anything. Plus, this is something I said."

George couldn't help but agree, he had a point, it was something he said, and he had the right to know. He once again took an inhale, "Umm, you s-said, I love y-you." George finally stuttered out quickly. Clay's eyes widened; his face turned red. He looked away from George, bringing his hand to mindlessly scratch the back of his neck.

George had his eyes at the ground, "I mean I was sleep talking, i-it could have been directed to anyone." Clay brought his hands to his face out of embarrassment, trying to cover his face and come up with excuses. Why did it happen like this?

"No, you said it directly to me. My name and everything." George said still gazing at the mossy paths of the school. "It-it just startled me; I wasn't expecting it. Though, the whole panic attack thing, that-that was me not you." Clay nodded but he could only think that it was his fault. He let his feelings invade his dreams and he said those words when George probably doesn't even think the same.

The two sat on the bench, letting the light showers of rain, patter against their hoodies. They were both in deep thought, not wanting to say one single thing to make the other upset. It was a silence of waiting, that was until the school bell alerted them to go to their classes. George went to get up first, immediately grabbing his backpack and swinging it over his shoulders. Clay couldn't let this affect their relationship. It was just a silly mistake, I was stupid to think he actually liked me, for god's sake he's just a friend.

Clay buried his head in his hands, assuming George was already in the school building and heading off to his own classes. "Fuck." Clay mumbled, he didn't realize that warm tears were running down his face and that he was crying.

Crying over a boy.

"Clay?"

It was George.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
1052 Words

Yes short but it's a build up to what's to come.
I am having way too much fun with these emotional cliffhangers, aren't I haha. I keep on writing shorter chapters because of it lol.

Next one's longer and that's a promise! Actually! It should be out in like an hour or less! So enjoy!

If you stop here! Have a good day/night!<3