New Hope

The car finally turns into a dirt and gravel road which leads down a grassy field that is lightly wooded. It was very stunning sight, the sun flying high noon. George didn't realize how long the drive was, as the music and nice conversations with Clay made time pass so quickly. The drive had been about one and a half hours, though it only felt like twenty minutes.

Clay continues driving, the gravel road is starting to become messier and rougher, the pine trees are beginning to close in a bit more. It's still pretty and George stares out his window, looking around at the interesting outdoors.

As the trees fully close in on the now dirt road, Clay takes one more turn to the right leading them into a large grassy opening. The sight was amazing, the grass was long and full of buttercups. The opening illuminated yellow as the sun reflected off each little yellow flower cluster. Since the trees outlined the clearing, the shadows contrasted against the bright flowery field. All this showed through the windshield in front of them. Both boys were in awe as they stared at the gorgeous sight.

"Wow, I didn't think it was going to be this pretty." Clay chuckled, still taking in the sight. George slowly nodded in agreement, but he looked to be getting antsy as he turned to Clay ready to go, already unbuckled.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" George questioned.

"We aren't in a rush; I was just taking in the sight." Clay argued halfheartedly, though it was more of a joke. Clay then unbuckled and exited the car, not forgetting to grab the backpack. George followed along, closing the door with an excited smile on his face. Even if adventuring wasn't top on his favorite things to do list.

Clay came over to George's side, slinging the backpack around his shoulders. He grabbed George's hand, gently as always, and swung their arms back and forth as they walked. George loved this, the beautiful area, Clay's hand holding his, and just in general, the happiness he felt. It was as if he was now the strongest, most confident person. Flying high as the moon. He felt amazing.

They walked all the way to the middle of the tree surrounded field, that's where Clay stopped them. He let go of George's hand, gesturing him to wait. He then brought the backpack off his shoulders and unzipped it.

The first thing George saw from his view, was a nice blue, black, and white checkered picnic blanket. Clay pulled out the blanket, handing it to George who gladly set it out, fluffing it flat. While George was busy laying the blanket out, Clay pulled out two bagged ham and cheese sandwiches, two water bottles, and a bag of chips. He placed these all down, completing the picnic.

The two sat down, knee by knee, shoulder by shoulder, and grabbed their sandwiches. They both didn't have much to think or talk about, they just ate and admired their surroundings.

———————————————

Clay finished eating his sandwich first and decided to continue the silence no matter how badly he wanted to break it. He rested his arm along George's shoulders as he continued to finish his sandwich, George leaned into him, resting his head on his shoulder. It was so comforting. To George this was perfect, he felt like he had a chance to get better, to feel happiness like this every day again. He felt hope. As for Clay, this felt secure and amazing. He had his boyfriend protected in his arms, no one could harm him. He had the ability to make George happy again, just as George had helped him a few years ago.

It was romantic and blissful.

George finally finishes his sandwich, licking his fingers in satisfaction. He placed his garbage into the backpack, then he looked up at his boyfriend. His amazing, kind, selfless, handsome, and again, amazing boyfriend.