Selfish Comfort

George looked at the ground, unable to keep eye contact with Clay's concerned look. As bad as he wanted to tell the truth, he didn't want to. It was so contradicting.

"Please George, you worry me when you don't talk to me. You scared me when you completely ghosted me and didn't come to school today. So, please be honest. Please." Clay begged, letting out a strained sigh.

George never thought about Clay getting hurt in that way. Getting hurt because of him not talking. He was so dumb. Maybe talking would pain Clay less than not. He fidgeted with his fingers, popping his knuckles in nervousness.

"I-Uh, I-Where do I s-start?" George stuttered. He wanted Clay to tell him, just in case he repeated anything.

"Start with after I went to the bathroom yesterday after school." there was no hesitation from Clay. He wanted to hear everything.

So, George explained everything. He explained what Clarance did. Including every single thing he thought during the time. He spoke of Clarance's words, quote after quote and even mentioned how he kicked him in the gut before running off.

George lifted his sweater and shirt, which was hard for him to do in the first place as he's very self conscious, revealing a large bruise underneath his rib cage on the side of his body.

"That fucking bastard. He needs to pay." Clay glared at the ground as he spoke. He was clearly mad, no, agitated with Clarance and his actions. George nodded and agreed with his statement before continuing.

He told Clay how he sat in the lockers for an hour before leaving the school and heading home. "I wanted to see you Clay, but I just wasn't in the right place. I was hurting, I still am hurting, but I just couldn't." Tears formed at the corners of his eyes.

Clay walked over to George and grabbed his hands. He carefully pulled George up and brought him over to the couch, gesturing to sit, George obeyed.

Clay then took a seat and pulled George in for a hug, "It's okay George. It's not your fault. You're here with me now and that's all that matters." George nodded into Clay's shoulder before they separated.

George continued to talk, now elaborating on how he literally laid in bed all day. His mind wandering to dark places. It was like he was on a hike and took the wrong path, leading him to his doom. Clay was search and rescue.

"W-When I did what I did, earlier today, I-I wasn't thinking. I w-was absorbed in anger and sadness. My b-brain wished to cope. So, I-I, um, I-" George was breaking. Tears flooding his eyes again. He was upset with himself.

It's my fault. He shouldn't care. I'm being a selfish bitch.

"George.." Clay soothed, bringing George back into an embrace, rubbing his back up and down. "It's okay. You don't have to explain anymore. I understand, okay?" George couldn't stop himself now, the tears forced themselves out of his eyes. George found that his arms wrapped around Clay's waist, seeking Clay's warm compassion and comfort.

They sat in each other's arms for what could have been hours. In reality it was only ten minutes, but that's still quite a while. The time was now 7:43pm, as read on the wall clock.

George felt like none of this was real. As if he would wake up and he would be back in his depressive state, alone, and unsafe. Clay felt like a dream, a dream which brought both pain and hope.

Clay pulled away from the hug, "George, do you want me to stay here tonight. Maybe tomorrow we can just do nothing. We don't even have to go to school." George was quick to answer, nodding in agreement.

"I-I would like that."

Clay smiled at George. It was a soft smile, one that would make George melt like an ice cube in Arizona.