Chapter 4: Mirkwood

We arrive at the borders of Mirkwood on a fortnight as the sun began to set again. I take off my cloak as Lindethiel does the same. Mirkwood, the kingdom of the wood elves. I take out a map I had been carrying with me since I left Rivendell and look at the path that I have drawn on to take.

"Planning out everything must be tiring, Mantheniel." I hear Lindethiel say behind me. I ignore her comment as I place the map on the ground before me, kneeling and tracing the path I had drawn with a finger. I had drawn a line as to where it was the easiest and fastest way to get through but seeing the forest now, the map seemed to be of no use.

"You have no use for a map here." My head goes up to meet an elleth dressed in dark green, embellishing the mark of the woodland realm. I fold the map and stand up bowing to our new companion... or should I say companions. There were at least a dozen elves around us, if this was a welcome party I certainly did not feel welcomed.

"We wish to pass through the forest." I explain to the one who appears to be their leader. She had hair the color of dark autumn leaves that curled at the bottom. She watches me place the map back in my bag and I turn to look at Lindethiel with arrows pointed at her.

"We mean no harm. Lord Elrond has sent us, from Rivendell." I say looking at each elf that had a weapon against my friend before facing the elleth again.

"We are not accusing you of bringing harm, we have orders from the king to bring any travelers back to the palace." She tells me, eyeing Lindethiel. Of course they would not suspect her to be of our kind.

"She is a half-blood." I tell her, her expression changes for a brief moment before she orders the others to put their weapons down.

"More reason for the king to meet you."

"But I cannot delay." I tell her, the anger in my voice clear. She turns away from me, followed by her company as Lindethiel walks to stand beside me.

"I heard the king of the woodland realm is quite something to behold." Lindethiel whispers and my head turns to her, she smiles weakly and shrugs her shoulders. She could not be okay with this?

"We cannot delay." I answer back to her still unable to think of a plan to get away.

"Please. Follow. The king is a good host, he will not ask for you to stay if you do not wish it." The elleth explains when she realized I was not moving from my spot.

"He would just like to meet you."

I give in, making reluctant steps to follow her as Lindethiel seems to be enjoying it. We pass tree after tree until we reach what appeared to be a bridge of some kind that led to what could be the Palace hidden in the trees. I could not help but marvel at its beauty. This was so much better than the pictures I have seen. Lindethiel and I walk side by side as we enter the halls carved within. It was truly a sight to behold, a kingdom hidden beneath the ground. As we turn, the other elves did not follow us, it was only I, Lindethiel and the elleth that walked through the narrow passages and staircases. I walk quietly behind her taking notice of Lindethiel who seemed to not have a worry.

We reach another bridge like path and I feel my breath get caught in my throat. It was no doubt the throne room and the Elf sitting on the high chair could be no other than the Elven king.

"They were not exaggerating." Lindethiel whispers beside me and I could not help but nod in reply. The red head elleth stops in front of the king who had been staring at us since we arrived.

"My Lord, they wish to travel through the forest." The elleth says with a bow. I bow as well feeling strangled by his gaze. He did not look that different from his son. My mind travels to the scroll in my bag, I had almost forgotten about it. I look up meeting his eyes as his deep voice echoed through the room.