CHAPTER 8 : Home

Mantheniels POV

"Gandalf!"

I could not contain the happiness I felt that I forgot everything about graces and hurled myself over to Gandalf, wrapping him in a tight hug. He merely laughs at my embarrassing public display as I pulled away; suddenly aware of how shocking it must be for the others to see an elf act in such a way.

"Mantheniel. It has been too long." He says, the wrinkles in his eyes showing his age. My smile went up to my eyes as he squints at me like he always had whenever we met.

"It has." I say, agreeing. The last I saw him, I was not captain yet. Captain Ellithior was still with us. I felt a sharp pain in my heart at the memory of my previous captain. The closest thing I ever had to a father. I shake away the thoughts before I started to feel gloomy again and introduce Gandalf to Lindethiel. They got along well immediately. That was Lindethiel, everyone liked her the moment they met her.

After a few minutes of catching up, I was informed to go to Erebor right away with the man named Bard. Of course, Lindethiel came with me although I noticed her and Bard could hardly seem to stay away from each other. Bickering and debating like an old couple. I smile as I am reminded of how Lord Elrond would sometimes argue with his wife. Making the simplest things a big issue.

Gandalf was walking beside me, looking ahead at the lonely mountain. I had just found out about the desolation caused by the dragon, Smaug. I sympathized with the people of Laketown, knowing fully well how it feels to have my whole city burned down.

"You passed by the kingdom of Mirkwood, did you not?"

I glance up at Gandalf who was looking at me from the corner of his eyes. I nod my head, facing the now visible grand entrance to Erebor.

"Yes, we did."

The image of the king smiling came into mind and I quickly dismiss it from my thoughts. Stop it, Mantheniel.

"Did you meet King Thranduil?"

I was caught off guard by the question, my eyes growing wide as if I had been guilty of something and Gandalf had just accused me of it. Thranduil, so that was his name. Turwaithiel had mentioned it before, but I never bothered to remember it. It was something I did not think I needed to know. For a soldier, I did not know much, especially about our kin many things. How embarrassing.

"Yes. He had been a gracious host." I reply, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible remembering how he smelled when he was not but inches away from me. By the Valar, Mantheniel! Stop thinking about him.

"Yes. Yes. He is a good King." He says. I could not help but feel he was trying to convince me but nonetheless, the King had been a good host. My mind goes to the scroll safely inside my bag. A reply for his son. How uncanny it was for a king and a prince to be writing letters to each other.

"What is it that you find funny, Mantheniel?"

My eyes look up instantly at Gandalf who was eyeing me, with the squint of his eyes that held mischievous gleam. I had no answer, I could not possibly tell him about Legolas and the king. I can hardly say anything about the king for that matter, afraid of the possible consequences of my... affections.

"Nothing, Gandalf. I am just really glad to be able to see you today. You are kind of hard to catch." I say, it was not a lie although it was not the real reason I had been smiling a few moments ago. I should learn to control my emotions more. Lord Elrond would not be so easy to distract.

When we arrived at the city of Erebor, all I had to do was talk to the dwarves as Lindethiel kept watch a few feet away. Bard had interacted with them, watching them more closely they looked like a close bunch. I immediately grew fond of the Dwarf named Bofur. He had been quite an adorable dwarf.