Chapter 46: Peace?

Authors note: It does not last.
---
Lindethiels PoV

I walk back to the palace, my thoughts in turmoil. I hold the dagger in my hands twirling it about as the scene flashes in my head.

I had been kicked to the ground. My ribs practically cracking at the the impact. I was sure I was going to die as I spot my sword a few spaces away from me. This was not my day, apparently. I see Mantheniel off in a corner, facing off their leader. She was trapped before him and how I wished in that moment I could be there to save her, but I was not even doing well on my own. I hear the orc before me snicker as it makes its way over to me, a sword in hand. I was prepared for it, death was never such a big deal for me. I close my eyes, awaiting the unfathomable pain that was to come but was surprised when a hand held my jaw causing my eyes to flutter open. I am held captive my his stare, he looked absolutely worried and angry at the same time. How many times have I looked into these eyes but have never felt its warmth until now?

"What in the valars name are you doing? Now is not the time to bask in the sunlight, my lady." He hisses at me before turning around to fend the enemies off. It takes me a moment to put my thoughts back in order as I make a run for my sword. I turn around just as Falasdir pulls out his sword from an orc who now lay dead before him. He gives me a smile before his eyes focus on something behind me.

I had reacted too late as I felt myself being pushed down to the ground again. I watch the archer orc fall to the ground as an arrow had struck him. I let out a sigh of relief before Falasdir falls to the ground, shattering my peaceful state. There were three arrows, straight through his chest but they were far enough to miss his heart. I panic as I crawl my way towards him before holding on to the arrow, hesitating in pulling it out.

"You fool." I managed to choke out as blood drenched his armor like water.

"I have been called worse but somehow, you make 'fool' sound like a compliment, my lady." He manages to make a joke despite it all, despite him being drenched in his own blood. I gave him a weak smile, already aware of the heaviness in my heart as I look up to meet Mantheniels eyes across the battlefield. She met my eyes briefly before her eyes turned to Falasdir, then she falls to her knees.

The memory still managed to make me shiver. He was so close to dying I could almost swear I thought he did. But no, he was alright and perfectly safe in a room in the palace. A room I was making my way to at the present moment. I neared the palace borders when I heard a familiar voice.

"You do not have to follow me, Tauriel. I am quite capable to be on my own."

Came Turwaithiels voice, carried with the trees. I walk towards the source to find her walking deeper into the forest, Tauriel right behind her.

"Yes, I know how very capable you are, my lady. It is just that, Lord Elrond has requested I keep you company."

I join them as soon as Turwaithiel starts to reply, she stops to look at me, her dark hair curling and falling loosely across her shoulders.

"Turwaithiel, Tauriel. What brings you two out into the forest?" I ask casually, feeling a slight tension in the air.

"I am here to clear my mind. I am trying to figure out what the orcs want. What I do know is that they want Mantheniel, I am not exactly sure why which is why I had studied about drows the other night." Turwaithiel explains, her blue eyes holding that familiar glint whenever she talked about anything related to reading or research.

"I am here to accompany the lady, lady Lindethiel." Tauriel speaks humbly, she gives me a soft bow and I had to stop myself from shrugging her off.