Chapter 13: New company

Mantheniel's POV

I storm inside the palace causing some of the palace cleaners to jump and follow me with their eyes. They started whispering as soon as they thought I was out of earshot making me scoff at them. This place was filled with nothing but judgmental elves who looked up to an insensitive king. I was shaking with fury at how arrogant he was, turning with every corner. I had realized I was lost. I stop walking then when I hear someone call my name behind me.

"Lady Mantheniel, I finally caught up with you."

It was the guard named Falasdir, his familiar smile on place. He was wearing clothes that are more casual. That you would easily mistake him for a normal elf and not a soldier. My fists were still clenched at my sides when he bows again.

"My lady, the king has requested for me to assist you."

I scoff at his comment making him raise his brow at me. Request. Was he afraid I might take rampage on his beautiful home with my uncontrollable emotions? I stay quiet watching Falasdir's look of bewilderment change into somewhat an amused look. He smiles slyly, making me realize why the elleths a while ago started giggling as soon as I passed by them. They were not giggling at me, but at the young elf in front of me. He straightens his back, towering over me a little but not as tall or intimidating as the king had been. My mood falls as soon as I thought of the king, how I even thought I liked him was beyond me now.

"We should go to the healers to get that checked." He comments pointing at the wound on my cheek. My hands go up to the wound, brushing it lightly. The blood had already started drying. The wound would close quickly soon, they would have to open it up again to take out the poison. I let out a frustrated sigh, wishing I had just stayed in Rivendell.

"And if I don't want to?" I reply, my voice shaking with the exhaustion from the riled up emotions and the fight. He looks at me questioningly, his dark brown eyes which I now have come to find where the color of dark hazel.

"Then you should allow me to at least have a look at it. To see if it is poisonous or not." With that, he takes a step towards me, entering my personal space. I find myself rooted to the ground as he reached up, almost hesitantly, to my cheek. When he was inches away from me I feel his warm skin brushing my cheek lightly, I felt the familiar pull in my heart.

"Ah. Fortunately, it is not poisonous." He says after a while. He pulls away from me, causing me to breathe out heavily. He takes notice of it and smiles again.

"I am sorry; it seems I have invaded your personal space." He says, although he did not sound sorry at all. I laugh despite his flirtation and watch him light up.

"I am sorry. It is quite all right, I am just not in the mood. I thought if I did not agree to go to the healers you would tie me up and drag me there, or so how the king said he would if I did not follow his orders." I joke, instead of laughing his eyes grew worried watching me laugh awkwardly by myself.

"He said that?" He asked when my laughter died down. I nod my head, looking at him questioningly.

"I've always known him to be cold towards ellons but never to an elleth. If you don't mind me asking, what happened that made him so angry?"

His tone was suddenly so serious that I felt guilty about talking about the king.

"We came across a pack of orcs. From gundabad. Moreover, I sort of went out of control, disobeyed his orders and talked back at him. "I start to explain, his expression shows understanding as soon as I mentioned the word Gundabad. I watch him now, my eyes curious as to what he knew.

"Gundabad. His wife... died there." He says, his expression that of a wounded animal. Was he close to the king?

"I was one of the soldiers assigned to protect the queen. She was a soldier, much like you and me, a born fighter. We were travelling in the forest, waiting for the king to come back from a war. When a pack of orcs ambushed us. We fought and fought but the reason of their attack was not to try and wipe us all out but to capture the queen." He pauses for a moment probably replaying the scene in his head.

"We followed them, until they reached the mountain. They tortured her... the king, well, he has never been the same ever since." He finishes the sentence with a sad smile on his lips and I am left feeling guiltier than ever.

"Now don't start feeling guilty, my lady. You had done nothing wrong because you did not know any of this. Besides, the king should seriously work on his manners when talking to an elleth. Especially one as beautiful as you."

I am taken aback by his compliment, feeling the familiar heat running to my face.

"My, my. The famous soldier blushes like any normal elleth after all." He teases, and I glare at him making him spread out his hands in front of him like a shield.

"Please, spare me, my lady. Although, if you would like you can hit me. If it'll make you feel better." He closes his eyes, pretending to prepare himself for a hit I will so clearly not give him the satisfaction of having. I liked him; he made Mirkwood a lighter place, despite the darkness that was now growing in the forest.

"Thank you, Falasdir. You have made me have second thoughts of leaving the place as soon as possible." I say, smiling up at him. I grew easily comfortable around the dark haired ellon but I knew what type he was, a flirtatious one. Could not be trusted that easily, but great company.

"My, I feel so special." He says, placing a hand on his heart. We both laugh making me forget all my anger of today when our laughter has died down he looks at me making me feel slightly uncomfortable under his gaze.

"The king has also requested you to take a bath since you smell rather... strange." He smiles his crooked smile again making me wish I had met him sooner.

"Of course. I will take a bath right away. I wouldn't want to be tied up and dragged there." I joke and he looks at me in amusement, his brow up as if I had just given him an idea.

"Well..." He starts and I punch him lightly, causing him to smile like a young boy.

"Thank you, Falasdir." I say again, he bows to me as I walk away from him. When I was a mere two-step away, I realized, again, that I did not know where my chambers was.

"Follow me, my lady. I swear by the valar I will not tie you up." He calls as he turns and walks to another direction, I smile thankfully to finally have found a friend before taking hurried steps to catch up with him.

--------

I sink in the tub, letting the warm water reach every part of me it possibly can. The water reaches just above my mouth and I watch the reflection of the light in the water. Moving with each ripple of the water. I had just screamed at the king. Lord Elrond would be displeased if he heard of such action. I groan inwardly, sinking lower.

I screamed at someone without thinking. I got mad, not knowing myself what he had been through. The reason why the king of Mirkwood was cold and detached. I should read about them, yes. That is what Turwaithiel would want me to do. I missed her. Her and her stories. How did I get here? Moreover, where is that spar Lord Elrond had told me about? I stay in the water for a few more moments, before deciding to make a trip to the library. They must have one. In addition, to apologize for my recent behavior.

-------

Authors note:
The image is that of 'Falasdir'. Quite handsome, yes? Of course yes! Not that there is an elf that is not handsome and perfect. (You can actually see him in the movie! *wink*)