Chapter 48: Flame of the Dragon

Thranduils POV

She was beautiful.

No, she was more than that. She was more than her beauty, her strength and her love. She was worth more than any jewel or star that the gods may bestow upon me. Yes, she was more than a second chance.

I watched her from afar for it seems that she had been avoiding me throughout the whole trip to the borders of Gundabad, where we had agreed to wait for the reinforcements of men and dwarves. I had even sent word to Calaer, hoping that Elunir would help me rationalize with Mantheniel but all my hope of keeping her safe seemed to have vanished when she stepped out and joined the troops two moons past. We had left at night, where stars seemed to hide from what was about to come. Even though everyone felt the chill in the air, and the reluctancy of their king, they stood behind me so full of doubts that I had myself. Until she came out.

Gold suited her. She looked like she was an angel. And angel of fire and gold. Everything about her shimmered and glowed, that I had not been the only one to stop and stare at her. Everyone was.

The fabled Flame of The Dragon had finally come out.

All of my soldiers stood straighter as she passed by with sheer strength and determination. She held her chin up and her movements were graceful. As graceful as she had ever been. She had caught my eye then and had seen the wonder in them for she had looked away, with a slight pink hue on her face.

I would have smiled then, to know that the strongest female elleth known in the elven race would react when she looked at me. But I could not, for seeing her like that made my heart feel heavier. Seeing her so ready for a fight no one was sure we would win.

It scared me like never before.

I watched her now as we camped and waited for the others. I watched her with hesitation, fear and something I had not thought possible, love.

My thoughts drift back to the conversation that me and Elrond had had before we departed.

"Elrond, tell me. What do your visions foretell of this battle?" I asked him quietly. He seemed reluctant to tell me as he stopped his pacing and faced the scene of the lonely mountain before us.

"It is not something I cannot tell you easily, Thranduil. For I myself am not sure of what the outcome is. " He says sadly and I give him a soft nod, my thoughts drifting to Mantheniel.

"You had told me once, that Mantheniel had two futures that you have seen. I have been thinking. What if she were to be with the one she was destined with? Would that help?" I ask reluctantly as the pain in my heart ensued for I have not done such a sacrifice in a long time. He looks at me more closely, no emotions betraying his thoughts.

"And you would be willing to let her go? Just like that?" He asks curiously and I hesitate before giving him a gruff groan in response. To my surprise he smiles at this, before looking away again.

"You seem reluctant."

"We are not here to discuss my decisions but her safety. Elrond I need to be sure she is-"

He cuts me off with a hand before his dark eyes fell upon me once more.

"Well, Thranduil. I can see the depth of your emotions towards her. I had doubts, do not get me wrong. She is very precious to me and I was almost afraid that you would not allow her in. But it seems you have."

"What are you on about?" I ask him, my temper already rising. We had no time for riddles.

He gives out a soft chuckle before a sigh escaped his lips. And in that moment, he looked very tired. For someone who was only a few hundred years older than me, he seemed to have seen more than I ever had.