Chapter 37: Past and Future

Mantheniels POV

I stand nervously as Lady Galadriel takes what seems to be a vase and fill it with water. She looks at me, with that same mischief her eyes always held and pours the water in the basin in the center of the room. I glance up the stairs to the entrance and wonder if it was too late to turn back.

"Do not fear me, my child. I have seen you grow, the first time I met you was when you were still a little elfling, hiding behind Elrond's robes." She says as she places the now empty vase back where she got it.

"So many thoughts trouble you." She looked at me, sympathy in her voice but there was a dream like essence to them. She paces a short while as if trying to asses the situation and I remained quiet. Her eyes sprang up so suddenly I felt a slight jolt. The next words that came out of her mouth made the heaviness in my heart grow, no longer allowed to be hidden.

"The king." She whispers, I could see it in her eyes. She knew. She knew everything and shame crawled its way upwards until I had to look away. How do I explain? I look for answers when a warm hand places itself on my cheek making me turn to look into the brightest of blue eyes.

"No reason to be ashamed of what you feel." She soothes giving me the warmest of smiles.

"The king so happens, share the same dillema. His thoughts are in turmoil since your last encounter. That is one of the reasons he came here." She explains and I could not help but feel slightly better. At least I was not the only one, but then remembering his expression from earlier... he could not have had good news.

"Do not fret my child. That is no problem that needs solving as of the moment." She looks up, at something I could not see before her eyes find mine again.

"You seek your mother?" She asks and I give her a brief nod. She gestures to the basin of water in front of her and I take hesitant steps towards it. Her eyes flick over, encouraging me to look into it and so I did. With a plunge, I am swallowed by the sensation of water but felt dry. I open my eyes to see the village I had grown up in, then fire came and took it away. The image of Ellithior teaching me how to hold a sword flashes as the scene changes and I am in the forest once more, and he lay dead on the floor. I felt hot tears prick my eyes and I wanted to pull out but something made me stay and watch. Gundabad appears and a war breaks out. Villages are burning and I see my mother, trapped in a cage. I reach for her but the cage moves away from me until I can no longer see it. Panic rushes through my veins as I desperately try to find her when a single strand of silver hair falls in front of me. The kind of silver that would always be distinct. I open my palm and let it fall on my skin as a war breaks loose before me. Dead elves lay on the ground, mixed with the lifeless bodies of orcs. I am pulled away so violently I came knocking back on the ground, gasping for air. What had that meant? I glance over at Lady Galadriel who was eyeing me curiously.

"What was that?" I ask as I try to get up, my hands shook and my legs were weak.

"Your past, present and current future." She states cooly and I could not help but think she was keeping something from me. Her light eyes find mine, as if she had just read my mind.

"I don't understand." I say, confusion and sadness in my voice. She gives me a sympathetic look before placing both of her hands on my cheeks.

"You do not have to. In time, you will, but right now, you do not have to." She explains as her hands caress my cheeks, I was unaware I had been crying. Why was I feeling so sad?

"Do not despair, my child. You have known the feeling of loss your whole life. Everything that my mirror has showed you, is all the losses you would have to endure."