Chapter 9 : Departure

Mantheniels POV

The news of the departure of the prince arrived shortly in the morning. I had been walking towards Turwaithiels study room when a guard had informed me of a meeting held in the stone courtyard.

I walk briskly to the meeting place and find Lord Elrond and Legolas talking to each other in low whispers. They stop as soon as I was of earshot and turn to look at me.

"I was summoned? My Lords?" I ask, awkwardly addressing the two lords before me. I was now uncertain if I was needed here or not. Lord Elrond greets me with a smile, raising his arm and gesturing me to come closer. I do as I am told and take deliberate steps towards them. The prince acknowledges my presence by a mere swoop of his eyes. I continued to stare at Lord Elrond, questioning him through my eyes.

"Mantheniel. I am glad you are here. I have another task for you." Lord Elrond was looking at me, his smile unfading. When I did not reply he takes it as a sign to continue.

"Legolas wishes to go back home." He starts and my eyes lock into the elven princes, he remains stoic and emotionless.

"What of it, my lord?" I ask when Lord Elrond had grown quiet.

"I want you to accompany him."

His words play over and over again in my head. I was to accompany him. However, that would mean...

"May I ask why there is a need to accompany him, my lord?" I ask, my voice clearly shaken but hidden beneath a facade I created.

"I do not understand it myself. Lord Elrond, I can make the journey on my own. There is no need for your best soldier to accompany me." Legolas explains and I feel a bit relieved he was with me on this one.

"Yes. I know. But it is not I that requested it."

Both Legolas and I stare at Lord Elrond, the confusion in our faces identical.

"The king... Has grown an interest in my beloved soldier." Lord Elrond explains. I straighten my back, unbelieving. I felt the familiar race in my heart. Legolas seemed unconvinced. I was just utterly confused.

"What sort of interest?" Was Legolas question and I find myself eagerly waiting for the answer?

"Just mostly her skills. He would like to have a spar."

A spar? With an elleth? The king?

I feel panic rush through me. I suddenly doubted my own skills. Why on middle earth would he want to spar with me?

"Ah. Why does that not come off as a shock to me?" Legolas smiled. Was I the only one thinking of it odd?

"You do not have any arguments about the arrangements, do you Mantheniel?" It takes a moment for me to register Lord Elronds question. His dark eyes filled with curiousity, awaiting my response.

I find myself shaking my head 'no'.

"If it is orders then I shall carry them out." I reply, unable to keep my gaze firmly on Lord Elrond.

"This is not an order. You do not have to if you do not wish to."

I was taken aback my Lord Elronds words. Was he letting me choose? Even so, I did not have an answer.

"Well, whatever your decision may be. I leave tomorrow." Legolas informs me before he walks away, leaving Lord Elrond and me. My thoughts were suddenly vulnerable, now that we were alone.

"So what will it be, Mantheniel?" Lord Elrond asks, I could not help but think there was a reason behind all of this.

"That is all? I am just to go back to the woodland realm just because the king would like to have a spar with me?" I surprised myself with the question that cane so naturally out of my mouth. I had been asking so many questions of late.