Chapter 24: Party Plans

MANTHENIEL

"What in middle earth are you talking about?" I was practically screaming, distraught at the news that came to me so early in the morning.

Tauriel had entered my room as I began to pack, desperate to finally be away from this magnificent place and its intolerable king. She looks at me apologetically, her green eyes filled with concern.

"I apologize, Mantheniel. Truly. I had only found out about the news myself last night." She says, her voice enough for me to calm down and collect my thoughts.

"If it is not such a bother, may I ask why you are so eager to leave? Do you not like it here?" she inquires making me try to gather my cluttered thoughts to form an answer.

"No, it is not the place. Mirkwood is quite lovely. It's the one who rules it that I want to get away from." I hiss, remembering what had happened not two moons past. I try to hide the unexplainable shudder that traveled down my spine at the thought of the king. I was no doubt going insane from staying in this darkened forest that I actually found him desirable. Regrettably so.

I close my eyes and without even a warning his face flashes on my mind that I snap my eyes open to see Tauriel across me, her brows raised questioningly. Would she be able to see right through me? It was then I tried to avoid eye contact, knowing fully well of my weakness. The uncontrollable show of emotion. Why did it have to be him? This was all such a tremendous mess.

When I find no words to continue our conversation, Tauriel leaves me with my cluttered thoughts which I was grateful for. I let out a sigh and pace around the room. We were to celebrate Turwaithiel's birthday here. And to think I was so close to getting out of here. I have definitely extended my stay for too long. They would arrive tomorrow and stay for at least three days. That was alright, nothing I could not handle. I just had to avoid the king, which would be easy now that even the palace staff have rarely seen him. I wonder why... maybe... I groan in annoyance not wanting to continue further down that train of thought. I had already spent the last days reprimanding myself for allowing him to do that to me. Despising myself for wanting it and not pushing him away when I could have easily done so. Ah, but my emotions were in turmoil!

He knew exactly what would happen. If only I had not been so blindly stupid I was pretty sure I could have beaten him. I let out a frustrated sigh, hating myself and him. He was totally unfair! I considered a rematch, the thought flickering in my mind slightly before I crush it. No, I will go home. I must leave this place as soon as possible.

------

Turwaithiel's birthday could not come any sooner. I watch the preparations from the balcony of my room, watching as the elven maid's string up the decorations. My eyes follow the familiar blond head of the prince. Was he in charge of all this? I nearly ducked down when I saw who had joined him, his silver hair making my stomach churn in dislike and something else. I watch cautiously, not wanting to catch any of their attention.

I had been successfully avoiding everyone, including Falasdir. I was in no mood to face people especially with all these emotions threatening to spill out. I watch curiously as father and son spoke, Legolas had a smile on his face probably explaining his idea to his father from his hand gestures. Without so much of a warning the king had turned to face his son. With a smile on his face that made me feel like animals were in my stomach, specifically flying ones fluttering about. I did not know the king was capable of such a genuine smile. I turn my head slightly, watching him smile as he looked at his son.

"Enjoying the view?"

I nearly scream out as I whip around to see familiar blue eyes looking at me teasingly. I could not contain the excitement as I jumped towards her, wrapping my arms around her fragile shoulders.