Chapter 42: Bliss

Authors note: I have this weird habit of updating and then disappearing for a long time only to flood you all with updates. lol this is sort of a breather, if I must say so.
--

Thranduils POV

I wake up as the smell of cherries invade my lungs. A head snuggles up closer under my chin and I am filled with overflowing content as I breathe her scent in. Her wild hair tickling the skin on my chest. She murmurs something inaudible and I watched as the sun had risen in the horizon, spilling soft lights into the room. I feel her steady breath as oxygen comes in and out of her lungs and I wished nothing more but to stay there a little longer but both of us are not so privileged. At least me more than her. I slowly detach myself from her, prying the arm she had wrapped around me, off me. The moment I slid of the bed, I felt nothing but longing and regret. She stirs softly but does not wake. I lean into one of the pillars on the bed, watching the blazing torch that laid upon the bed. Countless of times I had allowed myself to imagine such scene, but never had I thought it would be real.

My thoughts recall the events of last night. How close I was to actually claiming her. I could punish myself if I had lacked the control. It was quite unbecoming, I always had control. Until she came along. The unpredictability of her being was enough to set me on edge, surprising me by my own actions and yet she seems so clueless about everything. She does not know how much she is able to affect me, since the first day I had met her. There was something about her, something I could not quite understand and yet here she was now. Lying on top of the bed we had shared, looking like the angel I had thought her to be the moment her bright eyes landed on mine. And she was mine. And like a moth to a flame, I was drawn to her. For two hundred years, I had lived a life in routine and under my own laws and one stubborn elleth comes along and everything falls down. If she was going to be the cause of my undoing, then by all means, let her undo me, it is not like she has not done it already. I smile down on her sleeping figure as a soft breeze comes through the window, getting a light shiver from her. I grab on to the cloak I had draped over the chair last night and throw it over her. Her body relaxes as she continues to dream. I quickly get dressed in my armor and with one last look at her, I leave the room in search of her friend.

----

I find Lindethiel already barking out orders to the people to prepare for our departure. She looked like she was suffering from a dreadful headache as she aggressively ties a satchel on her horse. Despite it all, she managed to order everyone around her with great authority as everyone seemed to follow her without complaint. A born leader.

"Lindethiel." I start but was stopped when Tauriel steps between us.

"Where is Mantheniel?" She suddenly asks and I found myself unable to provide an answer as Lindethiel finally directs her attention to me, her brow raised.

"She is perfectly alright, now will you please let me talk to Lindethiel?" I reply, almost sounding defensive as Tauriel cocks her head to the right, examining me with a hint of a smile on her face.

"I saw her go up to your chambers and she never got out." She teases and I felt embarrassed at that moment but remained composed despite Lindethiel hearing all of it as her eyes grow wide in surprise.

"This is not the place to discuss such things, do you not think so?" I counter and Tauriel laughs, shaking her head slightly.

"I think it is the first time I have seen you in such a nervous state, my lord. I am merely teasing. Besides, no one but us can hear of our conversation." She assures me as Lindethiel clears her throat behind her. Tauriel turns around to give Lindethiel a quick glance before turning to face me.

"And her, apparently. Although I do not think that would be a problem since Mantheniel is sure to relay to her the events of last night. And I would think your need to talk with her concerns Mantheniel anyway." She says to me with a smile before leaving me to stare after her. Lindethiel remains where she was, a strict expression on her face.