Chapter 14

Brian slipped his hands into his pockets as he walked. He took deep breaths, trying to calm himself down. There was no reason for him to be upset; so what that his girlfriend had showed up? It wasn't like anything was going to happen between him and Joe. He'd known that going in. Joe's taken. And straight. Period.

He pulled out his phone, knowing that he should call Joey. He stared at his contact, but didn't press call. In truth, he really didn't feel like talking to anyone. He wasn't even sure if he could; his throat was dry and his teeth were clenched. He pulled out his headphones instead, plugging them into his phone.
Something about music always relaxed him. He felt like singing; but he was walking around outside. He tried to let his mind wonder off, but the more he did the more it fixated on Joe and Zoey. He wished he would stop having intrusive thoughts about how they were probably fooling around right now. About how much Brian wanted Joe to be with someone who treated him better—even if it wasn't him.

Of course, he wanted it to be him.

He also couldn't stop thinking about Zoey's obvious hatred of him. The glare she'd given him today was the same one he'd gotten yesterday at Beanies. Of course, she was snobby and rude, but he felt like the look she'd given him was different then the dirty looks she normally gave to the theatre kids. It didn't feel like she was simply looking down on him or thought he was a loser. For some reason, although he couldn't fathom why, he felt like she was looking at him with complete and total hatred.

He shook his head. He was just being paranoid. In no way shape or form was he anyone of significance to that girl. She probably didn't even know his name. He pulled out his phone to call Joey. He could defiantly help him see reason.

"What up my guy?" Joey asked, answering practically the second Brian had hit the call button.

"I have heartache." Brian responded.

"Don't we all," Joey teased. "What happened?"

"It's a long story." Brian said miserably. "Are you home right now? I'm walking home from Joe's and I know you're on my way back."

"Why are you walking? Joe couldn't drive you home?"

"He could've. He offered. But I had to get out of there."

"You make no sense." Joey mused. "Well I'm actually out with Darren right now, want us to come pick you up?"

"No that's okay, I don't wanna inconvenience Dar—"

"Not an inconvenience at all!" Darren shouted from across the line. "Where you at? Joe's neighborhood?"

"No, for real. You guys are great, but you don't need to—"

"Shush, we're coming to get you." Joey cut across. "It's already happening. Just stay put, we'll be there in ten minutes."

xXx

"Bruh, is Joe that oblivious to just how much of a bitch his girlfriend is?" Joey whined as they walked into Darren's house. "You know I'm not one to trash talk, but holy fuck I can't stand him dating that girl anymore."

"Try being in the same grade as them," Darren whined miserably. "You know Joe's totally convinced that him and Zoey our gonna be in our limo for prom? Like she would be caught dead with any of us. You know she's constantly pressuring him to quit Glee and theatre right?"

"Believe me, I do," Brian responded miserably. "I just wish he was with someone who treated him better."

"You mean you wish he was with you?" Darren responded bleakly.

Brian froze, him and Joey looking at each other with wide eyes before they both looked at Darren. "I, um, what do you mean?"

"Wait, is it supposed to be a secret that you're into Joe?" The older boy was smirking at Brian.