Chapter 17

TW~ violence and harsh language.

"Bro for real?"

"Yeah, do you think it's significant at all?"

"Definitely." Brian assured Joey as they walked down the hall together. "FaceTime is a step above phone call, and she chose to FaceTime you. You are getting in there my friend."

"I hope so." Joey said happily as he skipped alongside Brian.

"Okay but, you do need to calm down." Brian teased, happy to see his best friend happy.

"Am I skipping?" Joey asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, please stop before we get our asses kicked."

Joey sighed. "Don't rain on my parade."

"I'm not! Although you're a little too happy about this very distressing conversation you and Lauren had on FaceTime."

"Very fair." Joey agreed, his mood softening. "I really am worried about Joe. And I'm worried about Lauren because she's all worried about Joe."

"You don't have to tell me." Brian sighed miserably. "Joe never texted me back last night. I know it isn't a big deal, but like, he did tell me to text him, and then he didn't respond? I don't know maybe I'm just over thinking. I act like he's into me. Fuck, I act like him being into me is physically possible."

'Oh dear sweet Brian, if only you knew the truth. Don't worry buddy, Joey's gonna get you into Joe's arms if it kills him.' Joey thought happily to himself. "Dude where's your trig textbook?"

Brian froze in his tracts. "Fuck."

"It's cool, you can look off of me." Joey reassured, holding his up.

"Yeah, but my homework's in it." Brian facepalmed himself.

"Were you staring at Joe and Zoey?"

"You know I was," Brian mumbled miserably, remembering how he'd spotted the couple standing and talking intimately as he'd opened his locker, the distraction making him forget to grab his textbook.

"Want me to walk back with you?"

"Nah, it's cool man, thanks though. Tell Mr. Pricely that I'll be there in a few minutes?"

"Gotchu dude." Joey waved Brian off as he started running back towards his locker, which was a good distance from his Trigonometry class.

Brian sighed as he entered the building, speed walking down the hall. As he rounded the corner to get his textbook, he froze. At the end of the hallway was Joe and Zoey, both whispering so Brian couldn't make out what was being said, but Joe obviously distraught.
Brian couldn't do anything besides stare in disbelief. He could hear Joe's sobs from the opposite end of the hall; Joe was on his knees crying, and his girlfriend was simply staring down at him. Why wasn't she comforting him? What was that monster doing to Joe?

Brian shook his head, knowing that this shouldn't be any of his concern. He'd come to get his trigonometry book; that was all. Trying his best not to look at Zoey and Joe, he walked over to his locker, quickly doing his combination and pulling the book out. He couldn't shake the feeling of eyes pouring into the back of his head. He closed his locker, still not looking in Joe and Zoey's direction. He sped walk down the hall, trying to ignore the sound of Joe's sobs, which were breaking his heart.

The sound of the bell ringing made Brian jump, and the interruption to his focus caused him to look back at Joe and Zoey. Joe was still on the ground crying; Zoey however, had her eyes directed at Brian. The younger boy stood frozen, as the older girl stared him down. The glare she was given him was one of pure hatred.