Chapter 21

"So what is this that I'm painting?" Brian asked.

"It's a sandwich. That's a bomb." Nick responded nonchalantly.

"Oh yes of course, how could we forget that part in Harry Potter?" Joe teased.

Brian laughed, taking the cardboard drawing from Nick. "So iconic."

"The most iconic." Joe added as they sat down on the floor.

The two boys set to work coloring, looking around at all of the other silly props being done. Not far from them, Darren and Julia were painting what looked like the cutout of a goat, Britney and Tyler were coloring dragons, and Matt was cutting out what looked like a spacesuit.

"Wait technically isn't NASA a part of America?" Darren called out, noticing Matt's drawing. "Not even technically—it is America! I thought Harry Potter was British?"

Matt looked back and forth between his drawing and Darren, a blank look on his face. "I don't think so."

"This play is going straight to hell," Brian whispered to Joe, making him laugh.

"Tell me about it," Joe said in a raspy voice.

"Ooh, I like that!" Brian exclaimed, fake clapping. "That your revised Voldemort voice?"

Joe shrugged, looking at Brian with a devilish grin. "Do you like it?" He asked in the same voice.

"It's definitely better than before. Last week you were sounding like Marge Simpson."

Joe groaned, burying his face in his hands. "You can't rush art," he defended, handing Brian a black crayon.

"Speaking of art," the younger boy mused as he started tracing the outline of the bomb, "have you figured out what you're going to do for your Voldemort makeup?"

"I have an idea roughly," Joe sat up excitedly. "I'll show you, Matt and I were talking about making him look like a character from this video game that I like." He pulled out his phone, showing Brian a picture of the character.

"That's your lock-screen?" Brian asked, amused.

Joe closed his phone, his face flushing read. "No. Of course not. That would be embarrassingly dorky."

Brian smirked at him, pulling out his phone. "Don't worry, my lock-screen is Goblet of Fire fan art."

"The best Harry Potter book, so a good pick."

"Goblet's your favorite?"

"Oh hands down. It's the biggest turning point in the series. The anticipation at the end of it? Unmatched."

Brian nodded. "I like your reasoning. I like Goblet a lot too, but I feel like both the fourth and the fifth books are my favorite chunk of the series."

"Are you two going to color or you just going to flirt the entire time?" Darren teased them as he walked over, grabbing a few crayons. Brian shot him a look that read murder, while Joe laughed awkwardly.

"Is talking about Harry Potter flirting? Because if that's the case I had no idea you were so into me Dare." Darren flicked Joe off, walking back over to his girlfriend. Brian focused back on his drawing, feeling incredibly awkward. Joe remained quiet as well, grabbing a crayon to help Brian.

The duo colored in silence for a few minutes, before Joe broke the silence to ask "so did I miss anything major at rehearsal on Friday?"

Brian shrugged. "June finished our robe. We can try it on tonight. We were supposed to start working on the group dance for your big solo at the end of act one but obviously we couldn't with you not there."