Chapter 35

Sorry it's been awhile but the next couple of chapters are all super long.

"Are you sure you can't stay?"

"I gotta go to school baby," Joe whispered, leaning over and kissing her. She'd called him in the middle of the night, distraught over how she was scared that he was going to leave her. As a result, he'd snuck out of his house and driven over to hers. Her parents were still out of town, and in truth he'd been terrified to be in the house alone with her for a long period of time. While Zoey had drifted off to sleep shortly after he'd arrived, Joe had spent most of the night lying awake, trying unsuccessfully to get his body to relax with Zoey curled up against him.

"Oh come on, today's the day, isn't it? You should rest and relax before your show." Zoey suggested, reaching out to take his hand in hers.

"We already skipped half the day yesterday. I can't afford to miss any more classes." Joe told her earnestly. "I seriously have no idea what's going on in AP calculus."

"I told you not to take it," Zoey said with a shrug. "You're not smart enough for it, you should've slacked with me. I've barely shown up for my math class all semester and I'm managing to pull a B."

Joe slow blinked at her, trying to not get offended by her comment. "Not sure if I'll get in to Michigan with a B in College Ready Math or whatever it's called that you're in on my transcript. I need AP calc."

"I mean, you don't have to go to Michigan." Zoey stated simply, sitting up and brushing her hair behind her shoulders. "You can just go to Hatchetfield Community College with me."

Joe shrugged. "I mean, did you see their theatre programs production of Godspell at the rec center last summer? It was pretty shitty."

Zoey rolled her eyes. "You also don't have to major in theatre. Not much job security in it."

"I told you, I think I'm going to double major in business and theatre, so I'll have a backup in case being an actor doesn't work out." Joe told her, wishing she wasn't constantly dishing on his dreams. He shook his head. She was just trying to make sure that they were set for their future. "Speaking of which, have you figured out what you're going to major in?"

Zoey pursed her lips. "Maybe I'll major in theatre so I can have all the same classes as you. That way I can make sure that I don't lose you to some awkward gay thespian." She stood up, noticing the look on Joe's face. "Kidding," she laughed at him, reaching out and squeezing his cheek. "Who knows if I'll even go to college. After all, you're going to be a successful actor right? You can take of me, can't you?" She leaned in and kissed him, squishing his face in her hands. "Speaking of which, I got you something." She ran around her bed, grabbing something small and handing it to Joe.

Joe looked down. It was a water bottle that said 'Hatchetfield High Football' with a bow on the top. "Ooh, thanks. I could use a new bottle."

"I figured. Especially with the play, I want you drinking plenty of water." She took the bottle out of his hands, tossing it on to her bed. She pressed against him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Thanks for coming over last night. I slept so much better with you holding me."

"Of course. I'm always going to be here whenever you need me," he whispered, kissing the top of her head. He wished that the same was true for him in regards to sleep.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked, looking up at him with her big green eyes. "I felt so bad waking you up when I called you."

Joe glanced to the side. In truth, he'd been awake when she'd called, texting Brian about their duet, but he was scared of how she'd react if he told her that. "Of course. I love holding you."