Chapter 36

Sorry I've been having a bit of writers block over how I wanna deliver these last few chapters.

"So."

Joe raised an eyebrow at Lauren. They were in the rehearsal room, having volunteered to help color some last minute props during sixth hour. "So?"

"We gonna talk at all about Glee today?" Lauren asked as she colored the Reluctant Dragon.

"What do you mean?" Joe asked, reaching over to break off a piece of the enormous Hershey bar.

"Don't play dumb with me, you know what," Lauren teased, smirking at him. "You think that I didn't notice you and Brian fucking holding hands today in Glee? Not to mention the fact that you were making googly-eyes at him during your entire duet. And after."

Joe flushed horrifically. "I have no idea what you're talking about." Lauren raised an eyebrow at him, Joe sighing in defeat. "We've already had this discussion. Yes, I think he's cute, but I don't want to complicate our friendship. Also, I have a girlfriend that I'm super serious about."

Lauren bit her tongue, resisting the urge to say "Yeah, and how's that working out for you?" The last thing she wanted right now was for them to be fighting again.

Joe took advantage of Lauren being silent. "What about Joey?"

Lauren shook her head, snapping out of her trance. "What about him?"

"Don't play dumb with me, you know what," Joe reiterated, winking at her. "You two have been getting even chummier lately, am I wrong?" Lauren flicked him off, turning her attention back to her coloring. Joe scooted closer to her, laying down on his stomach and resting his head in his hands. "Come on, talk to me. I'm your best friend; I know when you have feelings for a boy. Sometimes before you do."

Lauren was quiet for a long time. Eventually she sighed, looking away from the dragon to face him. "He's really kind. And friendly; he makes everyone feel like his best friend."

"Aaaaand?" Joe asked, nudging her with his elbow.

She rolled her eyes. "He's a really reliable friend. Loyal too."

"Come on Lo, get to the good stuff."

Lauren bit her lip to hide her embarrassed smile. "Bro, he's fucking FUNNY!" She brought a hand to her mouth to hide her wide smile from Joe. "He seriously cracks me up more than anyone. And he's smart. And... cute. Super cute. Obviously. With that stupid fucking jaw. But despite all of that... he has like zero ego?" She sighed, blinking and breaking eye contact with Joe. "He's simply the best. He really is. He's, he's a great guy."

"See? What'd I tell you?" Joe teased cockily. "I know your feelings before you do."

"Then you'd know that I don't want a relationship," Lauren responded flatly, turning her attention back to her coloring.

"You don't want one, or you're scared to have one?" Joe asked, his mood softening as the conversation turned more serious.

"I'm going to college. I'm moving. There's no point in starting anything here. Not to mention the fact that I don't need a man. I'm an independent woman. Nothing and no one is going to distract me from my goals."

Joe raised his hands up in defeat. "Perfectly fair. I respect that. I just think you and Joey have a connection. A real connection."

Lauren sighed sadly. "You're probably right. So, back to you and Brian," she cut across, smirking at him.

"Jaime, who the fuck in THOMS Riddle?" Matt asked, loudly enough so that everyone in the room turned their attention towards him.

"Oh. My. God," Jaime brought her hands to her face as she realized her mistake on the graveyard plaque.