Chapter 28

The next two chapters are going to be the darkest in the book. Please tread carefully if you're not in a good headspace. TW for violence and domestic abuse. If you don't want to read it and just want a summary of the chapter feel free to message me!

Joe tried his best to remain calm as he walked up to Zoey's front door. He had no idea why, but his anxiety was much worse than usual. Yes, he hated it when Zoey was mad at him, but this felt like a whole new level.

He was scared. He was terrified of what was going to happen. What was she going to do to him?

He rang the doorbell, nervous about waking her parents up at one in the morning. He took a step back, glancing at the driveway. He hadn't noticed before, but her fathers car wasn't in the driveway, which gave him the impression that her parents were out of town.
Why did the idea of being alone in the house with Zoey make him feel so much worse?

A few moments later, a car pulled up into the driveway. A flicker of hope lit in his chest; were her parents back?

He got his answer a moment later when the door to the house opened, and he turned to find himself face to face with Sam. Joe took a step back from the taller boy, who was smirking at him. "Sam."

"Walker," he teased, walking past him and towards what Joe now recognized to be Craig's car. "I'd hate to be you right now buddy," he whispered, breaking out into laughter.

Joe gulped, stepping inside of Zoey's house. He found her sitting on the staircase, her blouse torn, hair and makeup a mess. "Did you get my call? I did call, I know you told me to call you."

"Yeah, I saw it," she said simply, looking up at him. There's was something about the smile on her face that was unsettling him. "And I watched your location after that. I see you came straight here, like I told you too." She stood up, walking towards him. "Sorry I didn't pick up, but I was busy telling Sam about what a pathetic little cheater you are."

Joe took a step back from her. He didn't trust her calm demeanor at all. "I'm sorry I made you feel like I would ever cheat on y—"

"You know what Sam said I should do?" Zoey cut across. She continued to walk towards him, and Joe backed away from her until his back hit the wall. She closed the space between them, placing her hands on his chest. "Do you know?"

Why did he feel so scared? She wasn't doing anything bad to him. "I-I don't."

Zoey giggled, leaning up on her tip toe so that she could whisper into his ear. "Well, first he told me to leave you, like everyone does. But I explained to him how badly you need me," she kissed his cheek. "How quickly you'd fall apart without me," she moved her lips to his jaw. "And how broken and lonely you'd be if I wasn't constantly taking care of you." She brought her lips to his, kissing him roughly. Joe stayed frozen, knowing that she wasn't kissing him out of affection. "Once he understood why I pity you so badly, he gave me a new idea." She stepped back away from him, gesturing for him to follow her up the stairs.

Joe obeyed, a knot in his stomach forming as her bedroom grew closer and closer. They finally reached her bedroom, where Zoey went straight to her bed, sitting with her legs crossed. She gestured for Joe to come sit next to her. He sat down nervously. "He told me that the best way to really keep you in line was to remind you of how desired I am." She whispered, yanking him by his shirt so that he was laying down on her bed. Before he could say or do anything, she had crawled on top of him, straddling his waist. She leaned down and kissed his neck, sucking lightly. Joe groaned, his anxiety way too high to want to do anything like this. The sensation of her lips against his neck made him feel sick to his stomach. He tried to pull his neck away, but she gripped his hair harshly to keep him in place. Joe yelped in pain when she pulled on him, but it was awhile before Zoey released him. "He suggested that I give you a taste of your own medicine and cheat on you. And I have to say, he really made a strong case for it baby," she whispered sensually, before leaning down and kissing his cheek.