36

---(time skip - next morning)----

Steve's pov:

It had been about twelve hours since Nat had talked to Ashlyn. It was about five in the morning and Steve had just returned from a run. Steve thought the only other person awake would be Tony (because he never sleeps) but when Steve walked into the living room and looked at the TV which was projecting the view of Ashlyn's room, he saw her sitting in bed playing with her hair, wide awake. He wanted to talk to Ashlyn again but he wasn't sure what to say. What do you say to someone after you tell them that their mother died? Was Steve supposed to comfort her? Or maybe he just shouldn't mention it? He didn't know.

Steve took a glass and filled it with water. Just as he was taking a sip, Tony walked into the kitchen and grabbed another cup of coffee. Tony was telling Steve about a new enhancement he wants to make to his iron man suit when suddenly JARVIS started talking

"Sir it appears your guest is requesting to stretch her legs"

Ashlyn's pov:

Ashlyn was bored.

Very very very very very very very bored.

She had been sitting here for God knows how long and her legs were starting to cramp. Ash looked around the room and her eyes landed on the camera in the corner. Steve had told her to call if she needed anything, and at the moment she needed to stretch her legs.

Ash cleared her throat awkwardly. Was she supposed to just... start talking?

"Hello?" She asked awkwardly, Ash cringed at the fact that she was most likely talking to herself at the moment.

"Good morning"

Ash spun her head around, unsure of where the voice came from.

"Who are you?" Ash asked when she was unable to find the source.

"I am JARVIS, Tony Stark's artificial intelligence. Mr. Rogers had asked me to assist you with any needs you may have"

"Can you get me out of these chains?" Ash asked hopefully

"Unfortunately, that I cannot do. Would you like me to send a message to Mr. Rogers?"

Ash hesitated, she wasn't sure if Steve was even awake at this time and she wasn't sure if she even wanted to talk to him after the events of the previous day.

"Just tell whoever's awake that I want to stretch" Ash wasn't sure if she was supposed to thank the robot guy because after all, he wasn't even a person so Ash just went with a "thanks."

Steve's pov:

"Sir it appears your guest is requesting to stretch her legs"

Steve knew that JARVIS was talking about Ashlyn.

"Steve can take her to the training room or something, let her blow off some steam on the treadmill"

Steve was taken aback by Tony's words. If he took Ashlyn to the training room then he would have to talk to her, what was he supposed to say?
"Can't you take her Tony? I've got... papers to write" Steve said in what he hoped was a convincing tone. Tony eyed him up and down and let out a little chuckle.

"No Steve, go fix your daddy-daughter problems"

Tony gave Steve a pat on the back and left the kitchen. Steve sighed and set his cup on the table.

-----

Steve was standing outside Ashlyn's room. He had a pair of power-dampening handcuffs in hand that Ashlyn was going to have to wear if he undid the chains. Steve slowly pushed the door open and took a step inside. He didn't even look at Ashlyn as he closed the door behind him. He felt her eyes on him so he slowly looked up and met them.