38

A/N: 

I just want to say sorry in advance...

Ashlyn's pov:

Ash pulled out her backup gun since her previous one had run out of ammo. She was about to shoot an approaching agent when a sudden loud voice shouted

"STOP"

Ash looked around and felt her heart clench slightly. Jackson was on his knees, with a gun pressed to his head. He had blood dripping from various places on his body including a nasty-looking bullet wound on his lower abdomen.

"Drop your weapons or I shoot" The man with the gun pressed to Jack's head demanded.

Ash's eyes flicked to Steve momentarily. He was looking at the scene ahead of him with a very concerned look on his face. Ash was also extremely aware of how bad this situation was but she didn't let her fear show as she slowly lowered her gun to the floor and put her hands up. In her peripheral vision, she could see Steve putting his shield down and putting his hands behind his head. Ash maintained eye contact with Jack, he was looking right at her with a stunned look on his face. Ash wanted to somehow tell him not to be scared but her throat was very dry and her hands were sweating slightly.

The Hydra agent clicked the safety off the gun still pointed at Jack and Ash inhaled. Her mind was racing, trying to form a plan of action but she couldn't think straight. Jack was already injured and his face was growing pale by the second. Ash was still maintaining eye contact.

"Your one of them," said the Hydra agent as he noticed the Boomerang tattoo on Jack's arm. "You're a traitor to your own people," The agent said. Ash's eyes widened,

this was not good...

This was really not good...

Jack seemed to understand something that Ash didn't because his stunned face suddenly disappeared. Instead, he looked at Ash with a slight smile.

"I'm sure Pheonix won't mind if I just-"

The agent stopped talking as the sound of the gun being fired echoed around the room. The last thing Ash saw of Jackson was the small nod he gave her before his body fell forward and remained motionless.

Then there was silence

Nobody moved

Ash was frozen

She couldn't move

That didn't-

what?

He couldn't be-

No

It wasn't possible

Jack couldn't be-

Ash blinked,

this wasn't real. None of this was real. This was a dream, it had to be. Ash closed her eyes, hard. When she opened them again, Jack would be there, still fighting. As Ash's eyes slowly opened she felt sick. Jack's body was still laying on the floor, drawing the eye of every person in the room.

This was real...?

Jack was dead

He was gone

They had killed him

He was dead

Jackson was dead...

Ash kept her face neutral as she turned her eyes away from Jackson to face Steve. Steve was already looking at her. Ash couldn't exactly read the expression he was wearing but she knew what it was about.

"Go save your team" She mouthed to him

"I can't leave you" He mouthed back. Ash shook her head

"Go"

Steve seemed to hesitate but after a few moments, he nodded. Ash put one hand to her ear and turned off the comm,

Maya and Liam didn't have to hear what happened next.