46

Ashlyn's pov:

Ash stopped outside her destination. She was now standing outside the Avengers tower with a group of twenty kids standing behind her, ten of which were carrying babies. Ash walked through the doors to the tower and changed her appearance as she did so. She was given weird looks from the people at the front desks but since she now looked like a SHIELD agent, they said nothing. Ash led the group of children into the elevator and pressed the button to the living room floor, she also changed back into herself.

The doors opened and Ash was met with all the Avengers sitting on the couch watching a movie.

"Hey, Ash- w-what?" Peter stammered as the group of children came into view.

"Ashlyn, why are there children next to you?" Asked Steve.

"And what's on your shirt?" Added Tony examining the blood-stained part of her outfit.

"Would you believe me if I said, Paint?" Ash asked hopefully

"Is it paint" Asked Nat

"...Yes?" Ash could tell from their quizzical looks that they didn't buy it but she ignored it and turned her attention back to the group of kids behind her.

"These are the younger kids of the orphanage," She told them.

"And why are they in my tower?" Asked Tony.

"You need help finding their parents?" Asked Bucky but Ash shook her head

"I need help... Babysitting"

Steve's pov:

"I need help... Babysitting"

"Do we look like babysitters to you?" Asked Sam, incredulously.

"You owe me, this is me collecting" She breathed out, the pain in her abdomen was really getting to her. "Just for a little while, I just need to think for a second" She added when she saw their expressions. Ashlyn stumbled into a nearby chair and placed pressure on her lower stomach, Steve wasn't the only one in the group to notice her wince at the contact.

"Ash, what happened?" Asked Clint, standing up.

Steve rushed over to where she was sitting and moved her hands out of the way.

"Can I?" He asked, pointing to her shirt. She nodded and he lifted her shirt a little bit to expose her lower stomach, which was covered in blood.

"Oh, my God Ash- what happened?" He asked as he examined what looked to be a bullet hole.

"Got shot" She answered, wincing as he put her shirt back down.

"Can't you heal?" Asked Sam

"Not when the bullets are still inside," She said through gritted teeth, Steve could tell how painful it was for her.

"Then let's get those bullets out," said Bruce, standing up from the couch.

Steve carefully lifted Ashlyn into his arms and carried her bridal style toward the elevator. Bucky, Nat, Tony, Peter, and Bruce followed him while the others assured them that they would take care of the children.

"I can still walk, you know" Ash mumbled as the elevator doors closed and the elevator started going up.

"Your hurt Ash," Said Bucky

"Won't kill me" she said simply. When Steve didn't put her down, she sighed and set her head back, letting her long hair dangle past his knees. Steve carried her down the hallways and into the medbay. He carefully placed her on the hospital bed and sat down in one of the chairs around her. He watched as Peter sat down in the chair right next to her bed.

Peter's pov:

Peter looked down at her as Bruce began putting on his gloves and taking out his equipment.

"Okay Ashlyn, I'm going to sedate you," Said, Bruce

"It won't work" She mumbled, Peter could tell it was very painful and he felt bad that he couldn't do anything to help.

"Okay then, you're gonna have to stay awake for this part, I can try and numb the pain slightly," He said carefully.

Peter guessed that Ashlyn didn't hear him, she was now gripping the edge of the bed so tightly that her knuckles were turning white.

"I don't think I can do it"

"I don't think she'd want me to do it"

"I'll do it"

Bucky finally took the syringe from Bruce's hand and slowly walked up to Ash.

"Really sorry about this Ash" He muttered before embedding it in the side of Ash's stomach.

Peter watched as Ash tensed and shut her eyes tightly.

Ashlyn's pov:

The numbness was starting to fade away and Ash could feel the metal tools looking for the bullets in her abdomen. It was extremely painful. Steve had offered for her to squeeze his hand but she refused, she didn't want to accidentally rip it off. Ash felt like she couldn't breathe, every time she inhaled and her chest lifted, an excruciating pain shot through her body. A small portion of the pain stopped when Bruce managed to extract the first bullet.

Only two more to go, easy peasy right???

Wrong.

---------

Ash let out a deep breath when the last bullet was taken out. She could already feel the wounds starting to heal and it was only a matter of time before she was good as new. Ash slid her feet over the bed and stood up. Steve rushed forward and put a supporting hand on her shoulder.

"I think you should rest," He said in a stern voice and Ash rolled her eyes.

"I'll be fine" She assured him, but Steve still looked worried.

"Ash maybe you should stay here for a few days, I don't want you to accidentally re-injure anything" suggested Bruce.

Ash sighed

It's not that she didn't like being here, the food was great and the beds were comfortable but Ash knew she didn't belong here. She wasn't an Avenger and she was never going to become one. The only reason they hadn't locked her up yet was that she had helped rescue them.

The door to the medical room suddenly burst open and Maya rushed in. Ash sighed again, she had been hoping nobody would call Maya, she knew the speech Maya would give her about how stupid she had been to go to the orphanage alone.

"Ashlyn Riley what the hell were you thinking!"

"Here we go.." Ash muttered to herself but she had the feeling Peter had heard since he let out a little laugh.

Ash was still fully aware of the other Avengers in the room who were watching the scene unfold as if it were a tv show.

"You told me it was a simple rescue mission!"

"It was a rescue mission" Ash tried to convince her

"But it sure as hell wasn't simple!" Maya took some calming breaths.

"I don't know, it was pretty simple. I was in and out in ten minutes, no harm done"

"Tell that to the three bullets Bruce just removed from your stomach" Tony added.

Ash gave him a 'you're not helping' look while Maya gaped at her.

"Bullets!? Why do I even bother- I need water" Maya left the room.

Ash was aware of everyone's eyes on her

"She'll be fine" She assured them.