48

Ashlyn's pov:

The room was dead silent. Maya was playing the phone conversation on repeat while Ash tried to focus her hearing on the background noise coming from the other end.

"You're close, well not really, I guess you'll never-"

"Stop there" Maya immediately paused the recording and played back the last five seconds.

Ash strained her ears to distinguish the different noises she was hearing.

"Footsteps, on a concrete floor"

Maya played the recording a little longer

"Metal sliding doors" Ash paused to listen again. "Shuffling papers"

Maya played the recording out again and Ash started picking up other sounds.

"Church bells?" She said, unsure.

"Church bells?" Steve asked and Maya shushed him.

Ash moved her hair away from her ear to try and hear it better.

"Definitely church bells, I think."

"Ash, what's going on?" Asked Maya, she had done everything Ash had asked her too but she still didn't know why.

"Oliver called said I'd never find him"

"So now you wanna find him?" Maya guessed and Ash nodded.

"Oliver? Isn't he the one that sent all those agents after Ash?" Sam asked and Ash sent him a small nod.

Ash pressed a button on Maya's laptop and the recording started playing again. Ash sat in a chair around the table and put her head in her hands, trying to focus all her attention on any details she could find in the recording.

"German? No, Bulgarian? Maybe?" She could hear some talking in the background but it was too quiet for her to hear what language they were speaking.

"Ash maybe you should take a break, you've been at this a while" Steve offered hopefully.

Ash ignored him and kept her focus on the voices through the phone. She had to find him. She was going to make him pay.

"How are you even hearing what they're saying? Isn't it too quiet?" Asked Clint

"Shush birdman" Ash replied lamely, keeping her attention on the recording.

-------

Ash had been listening to the phone call for the past half an hour until she got bored.

Maya had promised her that if she was able to enhance the volume of the background voices to make it easier to hear, she would let Ash know. Liam was probably somewhere building something with Tony, those two had become.... Building buds???

Anyways, Ash was currently sitting on a bench in the park, Maya had suggested she get some fresh air and Ash hadn't felt like objecting.

A blow of air and the sound of feet landing beside her alerted Ash to Peter who had just swung down by her side. He sat down on the bench next to her.

"Isn't Tony going to be mad that you were swinging without your mask?" She asked and he shrugged.

"It wouldn't be the first time," He said casually.

Ash laughed a little but then kept quiet. She heard Peter's breath quicken slightly and the look on his face seemed as if he was debating something in his mind. Ash waited, curious about what he wanted to say.