44

----(Time skip - the next day)----

Ashlyn's pov:

"You need a good plan Ash"

Maya was sprawled out on the bed in Ash's guest room. Ash was standing in front of the mirror changing from outfit to outfit for one that she wanted to wear right now.

"My plan is simple, go in, kill everyone, and get the hell out." Ash decided on a plain oversized blue T-shirt and some casual black sports shorts.

She heard Maya sigh. Ash's real plan was to go right up to the orphanage and, in honor of Jack, blow the whole place to pieces. The only problem was the other assassins that would be there. Ash knew that some were already too far gone, there was no saving them. However the younger kids, the new ones, Ash knew that they still had a chance at a normal life. She would have to rescue them before she blew the rest to pieces. What was she going to do with them after she rescued them though? Where would they go? It's not like she could return them to the parents, they were the ones that had given the kids up to the orphanage. Ash hadn't told Maya her plan yet because she knew what Maya would say. But she needed Maya's help.

Ash turned to face her friend.

"I want to blow it up" Maya didn't say anything for a few moments. Ash guessed that Maya knew why Ash had chosen that particular method of destruction. "I want to save the younger ones first though," Ash added.

Maya nodded in agreement, "what will we do with them after?"

Ash shrugged and plopped down on the bed next to Maya. They stayed silent for a few minutes until there was a knock at the door.

Liam peeked his head to look at them, "You guys alive in here?"

Maya mumbled a "nope" Into her pillow and Liam walked inside, closing the door behind him. Ash looked at Liam, Ash knew he liked it here, being able to build things with Tony and play with Peter and Pietro. But she also knew that it was temporary and it was coming to an end.

"We can't stay here," She told him. Liam frowned slightly but nodded once to show he understood.

Maya also sat up, "it's time to go"

------

Ash hadn't brought anything with her so she didn't have anything to pack. Maya and Liam stood beside her in the elevator as it went up. Ash had wanted to just leave but Liam wanted to say goodbye and Maya had convinced her that they should thank the Avengers since they had let them stay for the past few days. When the elevator doors opened, Ash stepped out into the living room where the rest of the Avengers were spread out of the couches watching Star Wars. Ash guessed that the choice of the movie had been from Peter.

"Hey Ash, everything okay?" Called Steve from his spot on the couch.

"Yeah, we're leaving, just wanted to say thanks for like, letting us crash here and stuff" She directed the last part toward Tony since it was technically his tower.

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Asked Peter as he paused the movie. All the Avengers were now staring at Ash and it was making her very uncomfortable.

"Well you know how it is, things to do, people to kill," Ash said with a small smile.

"Aren't we supposed to help you with that? Isn't that the whole reason you came to save us?" Asked Sam

"You will help, just not yet. I'll let you know when I require assistance" With that Ash turned to leave

"Wait Ash-" Ash turned back around as Steve came up to her. "Are you sure you don't want to stay here, since Jack well-"

"We've stayed too long already. It's time for us to go"

Steve's pov:

Steve watched as the doors to the elevator closed and Ashlyn disappeared from view.

"That's a shame, it was nice having the kids around" Came Tony's voice from the couch.

Steve turned around and sat back in his original seat. Part of him had been hoping that Ash would agree to stay, It was nice having her around. But the other part of him knew that she

wouldn't stop until her mission was complete. There was a moment a few days ago where Ash had been sitting in the kitchen with Maya eating ice cream. She had almost seemed normal. If Steve hadn't known about her job, he would've guessed she was just a typical happy teen. Steve liked it when she was happy, it reminded him of all the good times he had with Katherine.

"I hope she knows what she's doing" Said Nat

"So do I," admitted Steve.

Flashback:

"Come down when you're ready, I hear Bucky made cookies"

Steve was about to leave the room but he stopped when Ash called out.

"Hey, Steve?"

"Yeah?" He stepped back into the room, preparing for whatever question she had for him.

"You said my mom got pregnant while you guys were dating-" Steve swallowed, he had a feeling he knew where this was going. "-Who's my dad?"

Steve didn't know how to respond to that. Yes, Katherine had gotten pregnant while the two had been dating, but she was also dating Cody at the time. All this time he had believed Cody was the father but now that he thought about it...

"I don't know."