12

Music of the Day
Wild Woods by Brandon Fiechter
¥

BELLA made her way downstairs, still clad in the flowing gown from the world of the Fae. Her bare feet padded against the kitchen tile as she searched for a snack. It was dark out, Charlie must still be at work, she thought to herself. As she wandered about the kitchen, she could feel the presence of the magic. She breathed in slowly, soaking up the sensation. It felt nice, peaceful. The feeling of pure magic is like a warm breeze on your skin. But within? It's as if the magic itself was caressing her soul.

As she exhaled, her troubles seemed to drift away. They were carried away by light breezes, and she let her eyes fall closed. Is this true peace? But this peace was yanked out of her grasp, as a tingling snapped her back to reality. She glanced behind her, toward the living room, because she felt as if someone was watching her. Bella faltered at the entrance to the living room, heart hammering in her chest.

The living room was silent, dark and there was definitely someone in here. She looked toward the window, noticing a flash of red in her peripheral. She met eyes with Victoria, looking as hauntingly beautiful as ever. She disappeared as quickly as she appeared, but not before she saw Bella's eyes and felt the power pulsating from her. She'd come back. Soon.

The light clicked on, making Bella gasp and whirl around. There stood Alice Cullen, shock clear as day on her features. Neither of them said a word or moved a muscle for a moment, until Bella stepped foward. "Alice?"

Alice unconsciously took a step back as Bella advanced. Her eyes roamed the dress that was adorned on her best friend. Why were her feet bare? Wasn't she cold? "What are - are you wearing a dress?"

Alice shook herself, finally coming back to her senses. "Would you like to explain to me how the hell you're still alive?" She demanded.

"What are you talking about?" Bella tried to calm herself. What had Alice seen?

"I saw you die, Bella! There's no way you should've survived that explosion,"  Alice was desperate for answers. Not that she wasn't absolutely thrilled she was still alive.

"You saw that?"

Alice let out a distressed and frustrated sound. But Bella was distracted by her home phone ringing. Sighing, she trotted to it, snatching it from the receiver. "Hello?"

"Bella, this is Sam Uley. We've caught wind of vampires in town."

Bella was taken aback by his boldness, but cooperated, nonetheless. "Uh, yeah. I saw Victoria for a second, but she disappeared. Alice is here now."

Bella ignored the curious, slightly betrayed stare of Alice.

"Is she alone?"

Bella flickered ger gaze to catch Alice nodding her head in response. "Yes, it's just her. I'm safe."

"Okay," Sam grumbled, unconvinced. "I'll let Cynthia know."

"I'll tell her," Bella immediately rebuttaled. "My message will get there quicker."

She didn't want Cyn to know just yet. She hung up before Sam could say anything more. She sighed, placing her hands on the counter. What was to happen now?

"Bella?" Alice called softly.

"Are you lying to me?" Bella asked, deadpan, not even bothering to look up from the counter.

Alice was silent for a moment. "No. I promise that's it's just me here."

Bella finally faced the tiny vampire. "I'm alive and well. You should probably leave."